Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

French University teaching

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MKR

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: French University teaching Reply with quote

I am also interested in knowing how to apply to a French university position. I am an American/French duel national and speak fluently French with a Masters in TESOL and plenty of experience behind me. I have no idea though on how to apply to a university there. Could someone give me concrete ideas of the procedure, and/or tell me about a site where to find such information, and also perhaps how to make a good CV for such a position in France?
running dog

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all (and I don't wish to sound rude or over-pedantic) but are you duel nationality, or dual nationality? Spelling counts everywhere in teaching, but especially so in French universities. Secondly, are you resident here in France? There are usually plenty of positions as English instructor of travaux dirig�s (Tutorials) in almost every French Fac from the rentr�e on, but they're hardly going to put themselves out to import (wo)manpower when there's already so much to hand. Thirdly, can you fix yourself up with a gig (in Paris or elsewhere) that provides you with the bulk of your salary (The maximum you're allowed to work in each Fac is strictly limited to 200 hours each academic year). Either that or you declare yourself as a travailleur ind�pendant (which might take some time and a good working knowledge of how french bureaucracy actually works). Finally, with the recent elections and Sarkozy's promise to completely overhaul the national university system, are you ready to put up with a rather turbulent Autumn (riots, strikes, book burnings etc.) if you do get over all the other hurdles? Sorry if this sounds harsh but that's the way it is...........
Reading over what I've just written, I realise I have been rude, so here's my practical advice: Get to Toulon or B�ziers (or somewhere equally out of the way) on or before the 3rd September. Sign up with any private language school you can find, but get a written contract from them that guarantees at least 15 hours a week. Then, and only then, approach the local Facs
MKR

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: French University teaching Reply with quote

Well despite the little rude frankness that you permitted yourself (I would almost say you are French) you didn�t quite answer my question but rather expounded on the erratic French system of which I am highly aware.
running dog

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKR, I apologize. But, again indulge me a little longer: if you understand how education works here, why the heck are you posting in the way you do? I'm not French, by the way. There are no sites that I know of (apart from, maybe, L' Education Nationale Fran�aise. Try Sections Internationales, or Baccalaur�at Euro in their official journal posted up on the french web; They'll want you to be able to teach, usually, History or Economics or something else in English). Otherwise, it goes by word of mouth at the last moment. From my experience, whatever cv you've got won't count for much provided you've a recognized MA (at least), Celta/Delta (???!!) connais pas. If you're in these parts then, p.m me at the beginning of September.
MKR

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: running dog Reply with quote

Although I am quite aware of the erratic French system and complicated bureaucracy�that does not mean I know how to specifically apply for a university position in France! If you read my first message I was asking for concrete procedures for applying at a university. This meaning first of all; Do I need to go through only official sites that post these jobs in order to apply? If so, where and how? Can I write in English directly to the head of a particular university department and apply? What type of CV is needed for a university position in France? What other (concrete) information can someone give me? This information is best given to me from someone who has, or had this experience, and knows what the procedure is. I have asked some of my French friends who teach in France and have never gotten concrete suggestions. One person said I couldn't apply without passing a concours!
Yes, I have a recognized MA (TESOL) from a university in the U.S. and I also have studied and worked (teaching-although not university) in France.
What does �in these parts� mean (Europe, France, this site)?
Kellydoodle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: to running dog Reply with quote

I think you are exagerating about a turbulent Autumn because of Sarkozy....book burning? riots?
why are people so reluctant to CHANGE things....
Anna Dubaya

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of US universities sending students to France (Brown U & Universite de Dijon, ENS and Columbia) but I have never heard of someone getting a job directly -- particularly if you do not have a Ph. D. Do not forget that it is a "privilege" to work at a university so it is very much sought after, in a country where students have too many degrees and few jobs.
Since you have dual citizenship, you can legally work.
When I moved back to France, I was teaching for a while for a small language institute. I found the ad by chance in one of those free newspapers you can pick up in any big French city. You are paid by the hour and you never know how many hours you will teach in the week or month. It is a bit dicey at best, you need a car because you are sent to various companies.
medusa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MKR,

I don't know if yore still following this post or not. I can give you examples of how to get a Uni job in any of the Bdx Universities. There are a few options. Firstly, if you have a connection with your college in the US, you pass through a partnership scheme (as the other post said). It is all organised for you. You become a "lecteur", take 12h of lessons a week, get paid Uni holidays and I think the monthly wage is around 1000euros after taxes (update me if i'm wrong please!).
The same job can also be obtained by contacting the head of the ENglish department, and by simply being available at the right time. For that however, you already have to be in town, have your social sec number etcetc.
Many of the Sciene Po and other Unis have language trainers on a similar deal but they generally select someone in June. It is worth going to all of them during the first week of classes. More foten than you think, people back out at the last minute.
Hope it helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: