Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thinking about leaving Peru

View previous topic :: View next topic  
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Thinking about leaving Peru Reply with quote

Well, I've been here three years, two in Piura and one and Lima, and I'm just burnt out. Lima's a bit depressing with freezing weather and no sun. I think working three jobs and studying is getting to me. Also, it's pretty hard to move up, seems like the TEFL world here in small and elite and it's hard to break the glass ceiling. Having three times the work that other teachers have at my school, being denied a raise and having a new teacher enter with little experience being paid more than me don't lead to much job satisfaction.

I've decided to leave my school job at the end of the year for various reasons, so if anyone wants info, feel free to PM me.

I've got a job interview here in Lima next week and a phone one for a place outside of Lima the following week so let's so what happens. If we left, it'd either be at the beginning of 2008 or we'd stay for another year, save up and leave at the start of 2009. We've saving pretty well and we know how Peru works, and that might not happen in another country, but money can't buy happiness. Depending on how the job interviews go.
nineisone

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to read of your frustration and burnout in your current situation. You sound like you are exploring alternatives outside of Peru and perhaps moving on will refresh you and offer you a better chance to move past that glass ceiling.

You were considering a move to Trujillo. Did you decide against this? Lack of quality instructional work for someone with your experience? I got the impression from your posts that outside of the negative experience you had with your former employer in Piura, you generally liked your time in the north. Possibly, Piura was too small for you and Lima too cold and gloomy.

How does your husband feel about all this? Is he eager to leave Peru?

It will be a loss for everyone here if you move, although I imagine you will continue to contribute your experiences and knowledge to the forum.

Good luck and feel free to post your decision making process to the boards.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pays' better in Lima than Trujillo. My husband's open to leaving Peru, a bit worried about what will happen, like anybody.
nineisone

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can imagine your husband's apprehension over a possible move. I believe you mentioned that he has not lived outside of Peru.

What has stopped your career advancement in Peru? Is it simply the lack of better paying positions or do you somehow feel that you are being denied opportunities not being a native or by being a woman?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nineisone wrote:
I can imagine your husband's apprehension over a possible move. I believe you mentioned that he has not lived outside of Peru.
What has stopped your career advancement in Peru? Is it simply the lack of better paying positions or do you somehow feel that you are being denied opportunities not being a native or by being a woman?

Those who become coordinators are usually well-connected or been in this game for decades. I've been teaching for five years and I still can't get anything but a teaching position. The higher jobs usually aren't advertised and getting them is a matter of who you know. Also, you have to put in very long hours and low pay.
jano

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Hey there Nature Girl Reply with quote

I know what you mean about Lima... I haven't lived there but have stayed there on and of since I arrived in Peru in February. I am currently living in Trujillo, which has much better weather and does have a bit of a cheerier feel about it. I can understand you feeling burnt out... I find day to day things frustrating sometimes i am STILL waiting for my work visa to come through and hopefully will be able to head to ecuador in the next few weeks.

I am quite new to the forum, so I don't really know your background etc but have you looked at teaching in Japan?? I have heard that because of the Fujimori era that Peru and Japan have a connection which makes it easier for Peruvians to geta job over ther. ONe of my friends (an Aussie) worked in Japan for a few years and managed to save quite a bit of money.

I have found your advice and info on the forum SO helpful and it has made me feel a lot les lost and bewildered in the world that is Peru.. I hope that things work out for you.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, he could work in Japan, but on an assembly line, not very appealing. where are you working in Trujillo? At Fleming? I didn't know that you had to leave to get your work visa, last year you didn't have to.

Japan doesn't really appeal to me. My first choice would be China, but the pays' low and no room for advancement. I've got a phone interview with an Asian school today, we'll see how that goes, then an interview on Friday for a Lima school, decisions have to be made soon.

I've asked for another college diploma, since mine is covered with Peruvian stamps and if we leave I'll need another. It'll take 8 weeks, so I'm buying time to make a decision.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naturegirl. I can understand your sentiments completely. I have been in Mexico almost 3 years. In that time I have held a variety of ESL jobs. I taught at language schools, in a private secundaria, business classes and private students. You are very right about the "glass" ceiling.
And it has nothing to do with sex, race, age, nationality or other so-called factors. It's about connections. Pure and simple. Even if a person is a native speaker with Ph.D. in English, speaks Spanish fluently and had acquired citizenship in the country be it Peru, Mexico or wherever that would be no guarantee in and of its self of ever getting promoted. Why? Nepotism and corruption are rampant, they are part and parcel of the cultures. People think of paying a bribe to a cop, to a teacher to pass a test or paying to get a job like "we" think about preparing for a career and working for it.

Is what I said PC? Probably not. Is it true? If you have spent anytime in LA it is obvious how things work. That's what sucks about living here. Really sucks. You can work your a$$ off and study for additional qualifications above a teacher's diploma just to have someone with far less quals get a better job. Or have someone that is NOT a teacher, has never even taught a class in English or Spanish and that person is the director or coordinator of the school. I've seen it happen. Nothing like having connections.

BTW naturegirl, I know that you're American. Why don't you just apply for a spousal visa for your hubby and head back to the states for a while? I am getting married to a Peruvian in December and we are planning on probably moving to the states next year. I know the visa process is long and difficult to say the least, but hey, The United States is our home country, right? It's a lot easier than going somewhere totally foreign for the both of you like Japan or Romania. I am not trying to start a fight, I am just curious 'cause I'm in a similar situation.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
Is what I said PC? Probably not. Is it true? If you have spent anytime in LA it is obvious how things work. That's what sucks about living here. Really sucks. You can work your a$$ off and study for additional qualifications above a teacher's diploma just to have someone with far less quals get a better job. Or have someone that is NOT a teacher, has never even taught a class in English or Spanish and that person is the director or coordinator of the school. I've seen it happen. Nothing like having connections.
BTW naturegirl, I know that you're American. Why don't you just apply for a spousal visa for your hubby and head back to the states for a while? I am getting married to a Peruvian in December and we are planning on probably moving to the states next year. I know the visa process is long and difficult to say the least, but hey, The United States is our home country, right? It's a lot easier than going somewhere totally foreign for the both of you like Japan or Romania. I am not trying to start a fight, I am just curious 'cause I'm in a similar situation.

And the whining thing. About the States, no , I don't think that I could go back. It's super expensive. Things will come clear this year, if I don't get a good job, we�ll be leaving.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:

And the whining thing. About the States, no , I don't think that I could go back. It's super expensive. Things will come clear this year, if I don't get a good job, we�ll be leaving.

Yeah, the US is expensive, in a place like New York or SF. People also make way more money in the US. You have to have a job on a par with where you are living. That's true anywhere. If you were working in an average job in Peru how much would you make? What would you be thinking then? BTW, what is the real reason you don't want to go back to the US?

And we pay a lot in taxes. To have public services that work, and to pay our police and fire departments enough to make a good living. That's why I don't worry about corrupt cops in the US. And if I dial 911 for an emergency, someone who is highly trained and a pro will respond with whatever help is needed. But I am sure that Romania is on a par with the US.

You yourself said that you haven't been able to get promoted. In fact you are the one who started this thread. Good luck, cause if your hubby doesn't have connections in Peru its going to be tough.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Real Reason? WEll, I've never really felt like I belong there. I told my mom that I wanted to leave when I was 14. I left at age 19, so it's been six years. I don't like the bubble that people there live in. My best friend thought that Peru was in Asia. Gringos are "cold". at least compared to Latinos. Romania, well, doesn't look taht I'll be able to live there. I do want citizenship, which would help if I wanted to leave in Europe. CHina's a dream. I don't think that I could afford to live and have a family on 5K quai a month. I have been in touch with a place in Vietnma, however, they want someone now and I can't just pick up and leave. It's a good position, and seems to open up every year, so maybe next yera.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
The Real Reason? WEll, I've never really felt like I belong there. I told my mom that I wanted to leave when I was 14. I left at age 19, so it's been six years. I don't like the bubble that people there live in. My best friend thought that Peru was in Asia. Gringos are "cold". at least compared to Latinos. Romania, well, doesn't look taht I'll be able to live there. I do want citizenship, which would help if I wanted to leave in Europe. CHina's a dream. I don't think that I could afford to live and have a family on 5K quai a month. I have been in touch with a place in Vietnma, however, they want someone now and I can't just pick up and leave. It's a good position, and seems to open up every year, so maybe next yera.

Vietnam???

Yeah, can't say that I ever felt like I "belong" in the US. But its a lot better to live there for a few years and save up some real money than going around the world to 3rd-world Banana republics and trying to scrape by a living. How many states have you been to? In the US? You want Latinos? Peruvians? Miami, FL. Mexicans and everybody else? LA, California. Want to live in Mexico and work in the US? Tijuana, Mexicali, Nogales, Cd. Juarez, Nuevo Laredo, Renosa, Matomoros.

I just don't see why you wouldn't consider going back to the states. I am planning on doing it. Are gringos cold? Maybe. Are Latins lazy? Maybe. Good stereotype NG. Something to be said when millions of people are trying to enter and work in the US every year. Without papers, not even speaking the "language".

If you had spent three years at a fast-food restaurant in the US(same goes for me) you could have already worked your way up from entry level to being a restaurant general manager. Yearly pay ranges from $35,000 to over $50,000. Being bi-lingual is a big plus too.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not looking for a certain ethnic group, just people who aren't so sheltered. I saw CNN and they made Peru look horrible because of the earthquake. If that had happened in LA, and there were no hosp�tals to left standing, the same scene would take place.

I've lived in CA (San Jose and Irvine) IL (Elmhurst, near CHicago) And VA (Arlington) And travelled to about half the states

Also, I'm scared to go back. My husband doesn't speak English and doesn't have a degree. Where does that leave him? I've never worked full-time in the USA and many people consider my job to be a backpacker's job.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
I'm not looking for a certain ethnic group, just people who aren't so sheltered. I saw CNN and they made Peru look horrible because of the earthquake. If that had happened in LA, and there were no hosp�tals to left standing, the same scene would take place.
I've lived in CA (San Jose and Irvine) IL (Elmhurst, near CHicago) And VA (Arlington) And travelled to about half the states
Also, I'm scared to go back. My husband doesn't speak English and doesn't have a degree. Where does that leave him? I've never worked full-time in the USA and many people consider my job to be a backpacker's job.

How did CNN make Peru look horrible? It was a disaster. Buildings were built to sub-standard conditions for an earthquake area. They don't use architects. Why? They are poor. The government is corrupt. Alan Garcia bled the country dry before. Like most Latin America heads of state they take everything that they can and leave the country worse off then before. Bush is a terrible president. But then again most Americans are at least middle-class. There are poor Americans because people don't take advantage of opportunities. They just sit around and complain. Gotta make it happen.

Most people are "sheltered". Most Mexicans or Peruvians have never even been outside of their own country. They have ignorant, mis-informed ideas about Americans and the US. The news here is always full of negative coverage about the US and immigration. It's all very one sided. There isn't any large immigration issues here, either. Sure there are immigrants but nothing like in the States.

Myself, I've been to 43 states(only 8 to go!) including Alaska four times.
My fiance speaks English fluently. I always speak to her in English. Why? Because I don't really need more Spanish then what I already have. As an English teacher in Mexico its not needed. When we go to the US she is going to need English a lot more than I need Spanish. BTW they have free ESL classes in the US for immigrants. In fact you could probably land a job teaching ESL in the states.

Many people consider ESL a backpackers job? Yeah that could be true. Depends on how you sell yourself.

Never had a full time job in the US? Guess you gotta start somewhere. Same goes for your husband. What does he do in Peru? As long as he's legal cause of you, he can find a job.

You complain about having to work three jobs and study. Yet you are constantly posting here on Dave's. Just seems like it must be hard to do all of that work, study, and post multiple times daily on here.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I'm saying is that if an earthquake of that magnitude had hit the US, they'd look the same. The architecture did stand up, only in the epicentre did the buldings collapse. It' was a 7.9 earthquake. Look at what happened in 1989 in CA. Things collapsed there as well. It looked worse than Peru. And bridges collapsed in San Jose where my grandparents lived.

http://www.sfmuseum.org/alm/quakes3.html
October 17, 1989
A magnitude 7.1 earthquake struck the Bay Area just before the third game of the World Series at Candlestick Park; the worst earthquake since 1906. The tremor collapsed a section of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge. Six of the deaths occurred when the exterior of a brick building collapsed at 6th and Bluxome streets in the South of Market District. Damage was estimated at almost three billion dollars in San Francisco, which was approximately one-half of the total damage figure for the entire earthquake zone.

The earthquake knocked out power to San Francisco, and the city was dark for the first time since the 1906 Earthquake and Fire. Power was fully restored by October 20. Emergency telephone service became sporadic because a fire broke out in the 9-1-1 telephone equipment room, and citizens had to rely on fire alarm boxes for three days for emergency protection from fire. The quake killed 62 people throughout Central California, injured 3757 and left more than 12,000 homeless.

At least 27 fires broke out across the City, including a major blaze in the Marina District where apartment buildings sank into a lagoon filled with bay mud in preparation for the Panama-Pacific International Exposition of 1915. Dozens of people were rescued by firefighters from fallen buildings in the area that were imperiled by the flames. As they had done in 1906, citizens formed a bucket brigade to help firefighters who were without water because of broken mains. A magnitude 5.2 aftershock struck 37 minutes after the initial shock.

Interstate 280 rocked so viciously during the earthquake that sections of the freeway slammed into one another, cracking off pieces. Some columns actually fractured, exposing the reinforcing steel in places where the concrete disintegrated. The Embarcadero Freeway along the Waterfront was nearly destroyed by the shaking, though Caltrans said it could be repaired.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: