Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cell phone recommendation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fancynan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Cell phone recommendation Reply with quote

I am preparing to move to France in January for my TEFL class. As I plan to remain in France, I want to get a cell phone as soon as I arrive. I guess the best way to go is a pay as you go phone, but I don't really know good companies from bad (the only one I know is Orange). Any advance help would be appreciated, on companies and/or plans.

I also plan to get a computer before I go. So far I have been looking at Dell and Acer, as they can be serviced in France. Does anyone know of any others I should consider?

Thanks for any help!
go2guy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey "Fancy" - getting set to put the wheels in motion, eh? Cool! Re: cell phones, Orange is one. Bouyges and SFR are the 2 other main players. You should be able to get info from their web sites on their plans and pay-as-you-go options. I've got the Bouyges "Nomad" pay-as-you-go deal (you've got to pay the full price on the phone up front, though, as opposed to the "plans" where they essentially give you the phone but you are locked in to a monthly rate). It all depends on how much you figure to be calling, and whether you'll get a land line (or "fixe" as they call them here). Land lines with with long distance (via cable or internet) together with monthly net costs can be had for 30 euros a month now (free.fr). As for computers, I had good service with HP when I had a problem a few years ago. I called Dell last year when looking for a new computer. My first question for them was whether you could buy a Dell laptop in France with a "qwerty" keyboard. The woman steadfastly refused to give me information until I provided all my contact info ... very strange, so I ruled that option out. (I ended up buying a Toshiba back in Canada.) Just make 100% sure whichever you buy they have a number to call here. It'll probably be a Paris number (generally no "800" service here). Ask for a written guarantee that it'll be serviced according to your warranty conditions. Hope this helps - good luck!
fancynan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go2Guy - thanks! It does help. Yes, the wheels are in motion. My last day at work here is Dec. 14 and I have my ticket for Paris on Jan. 2. WooHoo! It is really happening!
go2guy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

au plaisir.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: