Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it worth the trouble?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hod

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaraLF wrote:
Whatever, health insurance costs 130...I don't know any teachers who have trouble paying for health insurance.

Really? I did. And no whatever about it.

130 euros is no small change. It's more than 10% of many teachers' pay and would make a huge difference to their quality of life. Healthy folk in their 20s and 30s would, not unreasonably, find better things to spend 130 euros on. But compare that with even the most uneducated no-hoper German doing the dullest job imaginable in some ex-DDR backwater, even they would get full health insurance and pay diddly squat for it. And you should just see how many sickies the average German pulls a year.

To struggle along on a teacher�s money and not even get the benefits of living in expensive and bureaucratic Germany means no, it�s definitely not worth it. If you only saw the benefits Germans (and EU people like me) get in regular jobs, you�d never set foot in a German classroom again.

And on that subject, UK citizens can so easily get other jobs in Germany and receive the full benefits that country has to offer. Why they choose to live like refugees teaching English is almost as baffling as why yanks do likewise, albeit travelling thousands of miles to do so.
SaraLF

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is 130 E 10% of a teacher�s pay? If you are only making 1300 E a month then you aren't working full time.

Anyway, I don't know of anyone in dire financial crisis. They go to the pubs almost every night and still have money to pay the bills.

Besides, you don't even live in Germany anymore. Does living in Germany turn ESL teachers cranky?
Hod

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1300 euros after tax wouldn't be that unrealistic at all for a teacher's average salary over 12 months. If you're earning lots more, then well done.

And who says I don't live in Germany anymore? I live in Berlin last time I checked.

Edit...I just went back to look at some posts. Sorry, I was under the impression that SaraFL or whatever started this thread. Now my opinion's changed, only a bit mind.

YES! YES! YES! Get yourselves to a German classroom forthwith. Is it worth it? You bet. Money no object, down the "pub" every night, dental plan.

I'm sooooo sure being married to a German and paying no rent is only a small benefit and besides brouche nicht ich meine man (aber manchmal seine EC Karte) wiel meine dutsch mehr dann gude genau fur Karstadt bist, odder?
SaraLF

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of my friends are English teachers, but living in Hamburg is different from living in Berlin. Maybe teachers here just get paid more and whine less Smile

Anyway, if you want to say that 130E is too much for insurance I think that's overly negative.
Hod

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaraLF wrote:
living in Hamburg is different from living in Berlin

Wow, I never thought about it like that before.
curio_butterfly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this might have been suggested before and maybe not feasible but worth a try. Many schools are always looking for native speakers to work as assistants. I know that many British students do this on their year abroad when they study so this might be the people the schools prefer to hire but it might be worth a shot. Might be just for a year though.

Have you considered trying the private schools as well? Berlin is a great place for that as people are always trying out new ideas and there is a good variety of independent / private schools that might be looking for someone who is able to teach another subject along with English. PM me privately if you want more info. I lived in Berlin for three years and still commute there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: