Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving to Lyon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jessiclare

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Moving to Lyon Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm looking for advice from someone who lives in Lyon on finding work and accommodation.

I'm going there at the end of January and, whilst I am prepared to arrive with nothing and find work once there, I'd much rather arrive with a job sorted already.

My main aim of going there is to improve my French and experience the culture. I only need to earn enough money to get by.

I've got 6 months experience teaching ESL to kids and adults in Vietnam, a B grade CELTA, and am a native English speaker. I've worked as a language editor on an English language newspaper and have a literature degree.

I've been searching the net, but haven't found much. I've also emailed a few language schools (in French) but have received no reply.

As for accommodation, i think it would be great to live with French people, possibly a host family - but can find nothing on the web.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Many thanks

Jess
mooseontheloose

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jess,

I see that no one has answered you yet so I'll take a stab at it. What are you (nationality-wise)? Do you have the legal right to live and work in France as an EU national? Also, why Lyon? (I'm not in Lyon by the way, although I think it's a great city). That is, do you know people there, or you just want to live in a big city that's not Paris, or what?

The reason no one is getting back to you could either be because you don't have the right to work here, or you've applied too late. If you're not a EU national (and I'm not, even though I live and work here in France currently), it takes MONTHS for the process to go through for schools to legally hire you. Don't underestimate the bureaucratic red tape. I did everything by the book and it still took over a year to get legal. And in most situations, you need to have a full-time employer in order to pick up any part-time work (the same goes for French people, generally speaking). You just can't be part-time (at least, not normally. Maybe others can speak to this).

If you do have the right to work here, then I would suggest you contact the head of language departments at various universities in the area (and, I don't know if this is the case everywhere, but French universities tend to be 'split' by faculties/departments. In my case, I was hired by the Head of the Language Department in the Engineering Faculty of the University. Agricultre, Architecture, etc. all have their own departments and hire accordingly). See if they need any 'vacataire' teachers for the second semester (which starts in late Jan/early Feb, depending on the institution). However, you won't get paid monthly. At my university, all vacataires get paid ONCE a year - in October, so they obviously need money coming in from other sources during the rest of the year. However, I think other universities may pay twice or three times a year. Be sure to ask. You might get lucky with language schools but I don't think the pay would be enough to live on.

Also, most homestays are arranged through (French) language schools. I don't know if they can be done ad hoc for just anyone. They also tend to be more expensive than living on your own in a simple apartment. And don't get the romantic idea that you'll be served wonderful French food morning, noon, and night. I've never done a homestay here (too expensive) but the people I know that have done them have been disappointed by the sameness and quality of food served and the indifference of the family. I'm not saying that it can't be a good thing, but realize that most people do it to bring extra money, not because they're interested in having you as a guest. As to finding your own place, if you don't have a full-time job and you don't have the right to live here, good luck trying to find a landlord who will take you on. That was one of the most frustrating things I've ever been through in my life!

I'm not trying to discourage you (well, maybe I am) but I just don't want you to come here thinking it will be like Asia where it's easier to pick up work and then end up broke. I thought I was well-prepared in coming here but there were still a few shockers.

Good luck.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From her language usage, I'm guessing that the OP is most likely British, and, if so, won't have any legal issues ('whilst' and 'sorted out' are rarely used by North Americans, for example).

If this is the case, I think the best advice is to go there and tackle the job hunt from the area. You're much more likely to get offers in Europe generally if you are there on the ground. European schools usually want to see you standing before them, CV in hand, looking professional and reliable, before they will give you a second thought.

Hiring is rarely done from abroad, unlike Asia.
jessiclare

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help.

To clear things up, I am indeed British so visas aren't so much of a problem for me.

My plans have now changed (as plans do). I'm going to go in May and teach a summer programme. Do you know if universities run these too?

Although I said money was not the reason for me going, it would still be nice to earn some!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: