Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where in Oz is there a demand for ESOL teachers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
desert date

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Where in Oz is there a demand for ESOL teachers? Reply with quote

In which Australian states is there a demand for ESOL teachers (all sectors)?

I'm trained in secondary English and ESL but I'm afraid of losing of my ESL teaching skills as hardly anyone takes it at my school.

I would like to work in the Middle East in the future where prior TESOL experience is absolutely essential.
mdb76

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Refugees Reply with quote

I am assuming you are based in Australia?

You could try contacting some of the community groups dealing with refugees or contacting your university and talking to the department dealing with international students.You could also post a add on the notice board for private tutoring.

I am not sure what kind of paid work you would get but if you simply want to keep your skills up to date than you could volunteer.
hkteach

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TAFE colleges (often called "Colleges or Institutes of Traning and Further Education) often have special English courses.

They offer English courses for overseas students and therefore have ESL departments. The one I worked in had lots of students from SE Asia.
I think most states would offer such courses so check out the TAFE colleges and Institutes of Technology in your chosen area.
eslstudies

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's plenty of ESL work in government schools in Adelaide, but the Education Department concentrates on retraining existing staff rather than recruiting.
TAFE does mainly migrant education. There are private providers doing the same on government contracts. Many universities run ELICOS for OS students who want to bump up their IELTS score, or just generally improve their English, and of course there are the general English colleges catering for Asian little princes and princesses.
Ever thought of a year's leave from your Australian school and going into the JET scheme? A year in Japan would sharpen your skills, and the pay isn't bad.
Like you, I'm a secondary English teacher with post grad TESOL. Unlike you, I have heaps of ESL students!
Regularly checking www.careerone.com.au isn't a bad idea, as well as the websites of the different Education Departments, as they tend to advertise there.
Ruthie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: High School Preparation Classes Reply with quote

I am also trained as a High School English teacher and am from the UK. I'm currently working in Sydney in a private language school, preparing international students for Australian High school. This involves teaching ESL but also enables me to teach all the other high school subjects. A lot of private language school seem to offer this type of class. Check out www.seek.co.au for vacancies.
sebastienupper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a serious shortage of both primary and secondary school teachers in my home state of Western Australia at the moment.

I'd be surprised if this shortage didn't extend to the TAFE colleges, where students are more likely to be taking ESL courses.

The shortage, as usual, is greatest in rural and remote areas (where many TAFE colleges are found too!)

Might be worth a look ... the teachers here are about to go back for the 3rd term (there are 4 terms per year in WA) and are threatening massive strike action based on their horrific workloads due to the shortage ...
Insubordination

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can easily find a job in Sydney this year. Just contact the ELICOS colleges. You'll find a list of them on the 'English Australia' website. I have a lot of colleagues in the industry. One DoS said the other week that he was hiring people with two arms and two legs (discrimininatory, I know) Very Happy

Working in the migrant sector is a lot harder but a lot more rewarding and appealing. I don't think they would hire people with restricted VISAS. The pay is better but it takes a while for your hours to build up. The application process is more complex. Still, there seems to be some vacancies right now. Even TAFE and AMES have been adverstising, which they rarely do.

If you're planning a 1 year stay in Australia, try ELICOS. If longer, try AMES/ACL/AMEP. All work is casual.
kiwichef

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: High School Preparation Classes Reply with quote

Ruthie wrote:
I am also trained as a High School English teacher and am from the UK. I'm currently working in Sydney in a private language school, preparing international students for Australian High school. This involves teaching ESL but also enables me to teach all the other high school subjects. A lot of private language school seem to offer this type of class. Check out www.seek.co.au for vacancies.

that should be www.seek.com.au
workingnomad

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every other person in sydney appears to be asian so i would look there!
Baroque

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: None Reply with quote

Another two sites to view would have to be:

www.mycareer.com.au

and

www.byronemployment.com

There is lots of ESL work in Queensland, Brisbane and The Gold Coast as plenty of International Japanese ESL students go up there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: