Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in NZ/Oz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robin2657

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:47 am    Post subject: Teaching in NZ/Oz Reply with quote

Hey there,

I am wondering about work in either NZ or Oz. I am an American, who has always wanted to visit these two countries. I have teaching experience in the arts, paid and volunteer experience teaching ESOL in the U.S. and Asia. I have a CELTA....bear with me....there's more.

Can I work legally in NZ/OZ. The work visa process seems to require employment first for sponsorship, and or skills that a native couldn't fill. Difficult at best. If you enter the country without a work visa and land a job, you have to leave the country and apply for a new visa....not sure if that means traveling all the way back to the U.S. or not. Can you even get a job without a work visa? There is also work to residency which I don't really want. I have traveled in Asia for most of the last two years. I would like to settle for awhile, make some money, and visit a place I have always wanted to explore. I would commit to at least a year. Sooo......is there a way I can teach legally? Could I just hit the bricks and find employment? Is there independent work available? Can I even volunteer to teach? I enjoy volunteering, but really need to make some money as well.

Soooo....if any of you with experience could help me....steer me in the right direction....I would be most grateful.

BTW...I have checked some of the job websites mentioned in this forum, but first I need to answer some of these visa questions. I have corresponded with a language school who seemed interested, but can't guarantee work. They mentioned relief work, but I still don't know what kind of visa I need, or can qualify for....

Thanks

All the best,

Robin
eslstudies

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are between 18 and 30 you can work to support yourself as a tourist. See:

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/index.htm

I doubt if you'd be able to teach though. The migrant education program [AMEP] utilises volunteers though.
Robin2657

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Yah well Reply with quote

Not in that age braket sorry to say. Thanks though.

Any other ideas or input greatly appreciated. I still haven't got which kind of visa I am eligible to apply for....and haven't had time to further research it.

I've decided to travel on a British passport......that may help in the longrun.

Thanks again
eslstudies

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/index.htm
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching in NZ/Oz Reply with quote

Robin2657 wrote:

I am wondering about work in either NZ or Oz.

Can't comment about Oz, but can about NZ.

Quote:

I am an American,

You're screwed. :)

Quote:

who has always wanted to visit these two countries. I have teaching experience in the arts, paid and volunteer experience teaching ESOL in the U.S. and Asia. I have a CELTA....bear with me....there's more.

Can I work legally in NZ/OZ.

Short answer for NZ: No.

Quote:

The work visa process seems to require employment first for sponsorship, and or skills that a native couldn't fill. Difficult at best. If you enter the country without a work visa and land a job, you have to leave the country and apply for a new visa....not sure if that means traveling all the way back to the U.S. or not.

Any other country will do.

Quote:

Can you even get a job without a work visa? There is also work to residency which I don't really want. I have traveled in Asia for most of the last two years. I would like to settle for awhile, make some money, and visit a place I have always wanted to explore. I would commit to at least a year. Sooo......is there a way I can teach legally?

Nope. Not going on what you've described. A CELTA isn't worth much in NZ. You'd be competing against people with post-grad qualifications for the decent jobs, and you don't want to go near the places that don't care about qualifications. If you had a work permit then you might, with CELTA, be able to get a decent job at a public school, but given the surplus of ESL teachers in NZ you're not likely to be top of their pile and a public school certainly isn't about to sponsor a work permit application. Teaching privates for cash is always an option, but you'd be hard pushed to make a living at it, let alone build up some cash. Given you'd have to be applying for an extension on the tourist visa every 90 days and you'd have no visible means of support, I'd say your chances are next to nil.
dialogger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any other skills?
Seems to me that English speaking countries are not the most buoyant markets for EFL.
Can you teach science or maths to high school level?
ls650

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NZ used to have plenty of teaching jobs, but the market collapsed after the SARS outbreak and hasn't recovered. There isn't that much work for NZ TEFL-ers in their own country, so as a foreigner you're going to have difficulty finding employment in ESL there.
JosephP

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching in NZ/Oz Reply with quote

edit: not worth the effort.
roywebcafe

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching in NZ/Oz Reply with quote

Same query from A brit wishing to teach in NZ or OZ pref former. Much the same as Robin2657 in terms of qualifiactions/ Expereince

G Cthulhu wrote:
Robin2657 wrote:

I am wondering about work in either NZ or Oz.

Can't comment about Oz, but can about NZ.

Quote:

I am an American,

You're screwed. Smile

Quote:

who has always wanted to visit these two countries. I have teaching experience in the arts, paid and volunteer experience teaching ESOL in the U.S. and Asia. I have a CELTA....bear with me....there's more.

Can I work legally in NZ/OZ.

Short answer for NZ: No.

Quote:

The work visa process seems to require employment first for sponsorship, and or skills that a native couldn't fill. Difficult at best. If you enter the country without a work visa and land a job, you have to leave the country and apply for a new visa....not sure if that means traveling all the way back to the U.S. or not.

Any other country will do.

Quote:

Can you even get a job without a work visa? There is also work to residency which I don't really want. I have traveled in Asia for most of the last two years. I would like to settle for awhile, make some money, and visit a place I have always wanted to explore. I would commit to at least a year. Sooo......is there a way I can teach legally?

Nope. Not going on what you've described. A CELTA isn't worth much in NZ. You'd be competing against people with post-grad qualifications for the decent jobs, and you don't want to go near the places that don't care about qualifications. If you had a work permit then you might, with CELTA, be able to get a decent job at a public school, but given the surplus of ESL teachers in NZ you're not likely to be top of their pile and a public school certainly isn't about to sponsor a work permit application. Teaching privates for cash is always an option, but you'd be hard pushed to make a living at it, let alone build up some cash. Given you'd have to be applying for an extension on the tourist visa every 90 days and you'd have no visible means of support, I'd say your chances are next to nil.
dialogger

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about working holiday (for NZ)?
It's for 'under 30s' I think so might not be appropriate 4U.
As I understand it you can't work for one employer for more than 3m but you could then take part time work from a number of employers.
There would be little ESL work over Dec - Feb but plenty of vineyard, orchard work to compensate - enjoy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: