Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Al Bashaer School?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amint

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Al Bashaer School? Reply with quote

Confused Has anyone ever heard of the AlBashaer school in Maadi, Cairo? I have not seen anything posted-good or bad about them. I was contacted by the Director of the American section for a teaching position there and was told that I could check the website to find out what they offer. Basically a salary and a flat for my family. Since I am not single and my family would be joining me, I replied that I would accept the position but would like for them to draw up a contract stating what they will offer me and what there expectations are from me. I thought that this would benefit both sides, their school and me. I have not heard anything back so I am wondering if I overstepped my boundaries? What do you think?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think that you have made unreasonable demands. The least you should expect is a detailed response to exactly what the job is and what your remuneration and benefits will be. Particularly important is educational benefits for your children. Private schools are very expensive in the Middle East.

I have not heard of this school, but since I don't have children, I have never paid much attention to the many schools for kids.

If I were you, before I moved my family over there, I would want to communicate with other American teachers who are currently working there to see what conditions are really like.

If you are a certified American teacher, I would suggest that you apply to the Cairo American College. It is the best known and trusted of the American K-12 schools and it is also in Maadi. I know that they are a trustworthy employer.

VS
sarina

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject: Al Basheer Reply with quote

I've only recently joined the forum and saw this query. I think you've had a lucky escape. I know this this school and I can tell you that it has a reputation as a very low paying school for foreign teachers. Al Basheer pays even less than most language schools (that's less than 600 us - maybe half to 3/4 - impossible to live reasonably on this, especially with a family. In addition, I've been told that all women teachers , regardless of religion, must veil - completely out of line with other schools here ( and with Islamic thought - the choice to veil should should be voluntary and sincere).
If you still want to come to Egypt, apply to the international schools and get a package. Living here is not as cheap as people say, the exchange rate decimates your earnings, and you will find it hard to be able to travel home for vacations if you don't find a job that pays a decent wage. If you are interested I can give you some addresses.

Last edited by sarina on Sat May 08, 2004 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
theycallmesusie1974

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Al Bashaer Reply with quote

They are an Islamic English school, and one of the few here (I've never heard of another).

They are disorganized, and do not pay well compared to other schools.

There are a lot of staff turnovers. There is only one foreigner that has stayed for more than one year that I know of.

As for having to wear the veil....there are many private schools here that are not Islamic. In fact most every other one than this one. And they pay better.

Susie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: