Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lecteur/lectrice d'anglais...any ideas?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mapleleaf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Lecteur/lectrice d'anglais...any ideas? Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on where to look for a lecteur/lectrice d'anglais position in a French university?

Thanks in advance for your ideas Smile
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got an EU passport and serious qualifications and experience?
Sorry to ask, but without both of these, your search is entirely likely to hit a dead end, ultimately.
Mapleleaf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind in the least answering your questions.
My qualifications:
I have a very good level of French (will soon be graduating with my BA in French language and literature) , spent a semester in France as a student, taught English conversation classes at a French engineering school, and worked as an intern in a French university's language lab working one on one with French students to improve their English.

What would be great is if anyone knew [b]where[/b] I could look for job postings for a lecteur/lectrice d'anglais position? Or if anyone knows specifically of universities that are currently looking for a lecteur/lectrice d�anglais?

From the research that I've done, I know most universities are looking to hire someone as a lecteur/lectrice who is a native English speaker and normally they accept candidates from Australia, Canada, Great Britain, & the US. If schools where interested in lecteurs from these different countries, I would assume they would help the person obtain a working visa. I do not have an EU passport but I do not see this at a complete hindrance, although, maybe a slight disadvantage.

Any suggestions on where to look for job postings? Thanks Smile
Luder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very few lecteur jobs (as far as I know you can't be a lecteur/lectrice--it has to be one or the other) are ever advertised, but there are quite a few out there. The listserv of the SAES (anglicistes de l'enseignement sup�rieur) is about the only place that always has lots of offers, but you have to be a member of the association to read them, or you have to get a member to forward them to you. Sometimes these offers are reposted elsewhere on the web or even--surprise--on university websites. Do a search.

Otherwise, just write the language departments of universities and IUTs (also frequent employers of lecteurs) in the cities you're interested in. But do so now. Public universities can see to it that you can get a "titre de s�jour," but only if you give them enough time. To be honest, though, here I must concur to some degree with that great naysayer Spiral, who, utterly unhelpful as usual, seems to be enjoying his pathetic attempts to shatter people's illusions: those lecteur positions that are advertised locally, as opposed to those reserved for students on exchange, are more likely to go to a local applicant who is available to interview and is either a citizen of an EU country or already has his papers sorted out.

Lots of universities need lecteurs in September when for whatever reason their hires back out (usually those on exchange from a foreign university). Unfortunately, for these jobs, the university won't have time to see to it that you get a work permit.

In the past, you had to have the equivalent of a French "ma�trise" to work as a lecteur. This was convenient for holders of Bachelor's degrees, because the "ma�trise" had no equivalent in the American or English university system. Now, however, the "ma�trise" and the DEA (another French degree) have been replaced by a "Master" that is the exact equivalent of its namesake. And I don't know what the new degree requirement for lecteur is.

I should mention too--as I'm tired of reading generalizations from people who don't always know what they're talking about--that when it comes to hiring non-EU foreigners public universities in France operate under a set of rules altogether different from those that apply to private businesses.
Nmarie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mapleleaf,

I worked as a lectrice at the Fac des Sciences et Techniques in Nancy last year. I have recently been in touch with staff there and believe they may be recruiting for next year. If you would like contact details, send me a PM. Otherwise, Luder is correct in that you must proactively contact each university you're interested in, as opposed to looking for advertisements.

Incidentally, the Directrice at Nancy used to live in the States and prefers to hire American lecteurs. As Luder pointed out, because these are public universities, there is no problem obtaining the work permit. However, I must also concur that they are not likely to hire from abroad.
Mapleleaf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luder and Nmarie, thank you very much for your suggestions and ideas!

I will continue to individually contact universities and IUFMs.
If anyone else know of specific universities that are hiring, please feel to send me a pm or post. And I welcome any other ideas and suggestions, thanks once again Very Happy
sally2005

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try signing up to TESOl France's newsgroup - it occasionally has lecteur positions advertised.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TESOL-France/

However, bear in mind that the posts advertised on here will probably attract a lot of competition.

As someone with an MA in English and professional teaching experience, and already resident in Paris (the city with the most universities) I found it difficult to get a post - though I did find one eventually. If you're flexible about location, I'd advise you to apply to as many universities as you can - and asap, because recruitment is happening now.
MKR

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Lecteur/lectrice d'anglais Reply with quote

I am also interested in knowing how to apply to a French university position. I am an American/French duel national and speak fluently French with a Masters in TESOL and plenty of experience behind me. I have no idea though on how to apply to a university there. Could someone give me concrete ideas of the procedure, and/or tell me about a site where to find such nformation, and also perhaps how to make a good CV for such a position in France?
sally2005

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Not sure if anyone still reads this topic, but I've noticed a few interesting uni / grande �cole posts and at least one lecteur position on the TESOL France newsgroup recently (recommended above).
If anyone is looking for uni experience, it's worth signing up.
lolwhites

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a lecteur job by sending speculative applications to every language department in the Paris area. Most will have reciprocal arrangements with universities in English-speaking countries, but some recruit independently.
ebooker1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: teaching position Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I am also looking for a teaching position in France. I have my TEFL certificate and a Bachelors degree in science. It has been a struggle trying to find a job from the U.S. does anyone have any contacts for employers in paris? I would be so grateful. I am starting to get a little discouraged here.
Nmarie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It has been a struggle trying to find a job from the U.S.

This is not surprising. Unless you're on a university exchange, the only employer that I know of to defintely hire from abroad is the French government, through the assistantship program (I don't have the website address handy, but it is through the Embassy in Washington). Since the salary is not enough to live on, you would need supplemental income (or a rent-free situation, like I had). This is an excellent start in France, as well as one of the few ways for a non-European to get into the legal work system. Once here on the ground, you can look for something else for the following year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: