Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Business English in Czech Republic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zenseeker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Business English in Czech Republic Reply with quote

I have just graduated from University here in Canada with a BA in Business Administration and would love to teach English Business classes or Business English abroad. Since the Czech republic is my first choice i thought i would post here and see what everyone has to say. I am planning on taking a TEFL course through a local university early this summer, and will be ready to hit the road by August. Where are some good places to apply for a one year position starting in September, and what do these application processes usually entail? With this in mind, what are the chances of getting hired before coming overseas? I have lots of other questions but i think i'll just stick with these to start with. Thanks alot for your help with all of this.

Dean
denise

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zenseeker--

Just a thought--if you already know to want to head to the CR (and who wouldn't want to?!?! the place is amazing!), why not do your TEFL course there? That way, you will have four weeks to both get acclimated and start checking out schools. The TEFL schools over there should be able to help you set up interviews.

I left Prague in 2001, and I was starting to notice a trend: more business classes through my school (on-site classes, where you travel to the companies' offices), less general classes. If that is still the case, then you should have no problem--assuming you have or can get a passport from an EU country--finding a job. Business English courses start all the time, not only in September.

d
Zenseeker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Thanks for your response Denise Reply with quote

Yes, taking my TEFL there is definitely an option especially if starting in September is not mandatory. What approximately are the costs of TEFL course within CR? Here I can take it for $1350cdn or approx. $945 US. With respect to the courses in CR, are the accomodations included at all? If not what is the best course of action and timeframe to remedy that dilemma? If you have a list of reputable institutions in CR this would be greatly appreciated. Hehe I have noticed on here that the judgement of schools can be a very contentious issue, yet i hope someone will take a crack at it. Anyways thanks again Denise for your help with all this.

Dean
denise

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through ITC in 1999. Back then, it cost about... hmmmm, trying to remember... I think the course was about $1500US and accommodation another $300US or so on top of that, so it'd be more expensive than doing it at home. ITC was/is a reputable program that will help you with schools locally. I think there is also Via Lingua (??), International House, and...???

d
Andare

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Teaching Courses Reply with quote

IH Akcent run CELTA courses in Prague. I'm not sure of their website but you should be able to find it on google or through www.ihworld.com. ITC are pretty good as well by all accounts and I've also heard - but only heard - some good things about a company called TEFL Worldwide in Prague. It will be more expensive than doing it at home, but then again the companies do offer help in finding employment after the course finishes. If you detach yourself from the crowd and consider jobs outside of the capital you'll have no bother at all finding work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: