Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Becoming a �lecteur�
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dogma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has been a SUPER informative thread. Thank you.

My question is what exactly does a lectuerer do?

and

Do you have to be a French major to to get a job as one?

I am in the middle of doing an Art History extension masters program, would that work?

Please advise!
Nmarie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if you can get around the 2-year maximum and renew for a third year as a lecteur if you're a graduate student in France?
medusa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Nmarie,

I have a few freinds who have managed to "get around" the two year deal, but that was purely because the replacements either never turned up or went home after finding it hard to adapt to way of living etc. So it can be done, but it all depends on the Uni and the person who takes care of the paperwork!

As far as being a french major: no it isn't an obligation but does help, you may have a good level of french but not major in it at University. Many french Uni's have agreements with US/UK ones and lecteur exchange progammes.
A lecteur basically holds conversation classes with students from all different areas of study. It all depends on the University; some may provide you with lesson plans, others may expect you to create your own. You will generally be expected to work a 12h week (yes not too painful is it?) and you'll get student holidays too. All of that for a wage you can live off if you're not in Paris!!!!
Enjoy................
mesomorph

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

medusa wrote:
Hello Nmarie,

I have a few freinds who have managed to "get around" the two year deal, but that was purely because the replacements either never turned up or went home after finding it hard to adapt to way of living etc. So it can be done, but it all depends on the Uni and the person who takes care of the paperwork!

As far as being a french major: no it isn't an obligation but does help, you may have a good level of french but not major in it at University. Many french Uni's have agreements with US/UK ones and lecteur exchange progammes.
A lecteur basically holds conversation classes with students from all different areas of study. It all depends on the University; some may provide you with lesson plans, others may expect you to create your own. You will generally be expected to work a 12h week (yes not too painful is it?) and you'll get student holidays too. All of that for a wage you can live off if you're not in Paris!!!!
Enjoy................

Yes this sounds like the job I need.

Does anyone know just exactly how much French is required for a lecteur position?
lolwhites

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had high school French and it was considered good enough to do the job. From a purely practical point of view though, it helps to have enough French to deal with the secretaries and paperwork.

If you get a job, use those two years wisely! Spend time working out your next move and preparing for it.
mesomorph

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your high school French was C1!

I just finished A1 in May!

Although I have improved quite alot over the summer (but not through study - <Plus Belle La Vie> avec sous-titre - lol).

I will be starting A2 on Wednesday.

Good advice on the time thing.

Je voudrais fais un Master en Anglais Litterature et apres un Doctorat en Anglais Litterature tout ecrite en Langue Anglais mais c'est un peu difficile a organise ca pour maintenant.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: