Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How's the job scene in Auckland?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scb222

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: How's the job scene in Auckland? Reply with quote

how difficult is it for an aussie with much experience (both overseas and in australia) and good esl teaching quals to get a job in NZ? should i just arrive and shop about - are there enough schools to do that?? - as i did when i returned to australia; or are jobs harder to come by and therefore i should seriously hunt out a job before coming over?? any advice would be welcome.
keitepai

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you be more specific about your esl teaching qualifications?
scb222

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: teaching Reply with quote

im qualified enough to teach in the esl sector. i have a BA, Uni qual for TESOL, and a PGCE. im currently teaching international students in Oz at an Eng college. found the job just 1 week after arriving back home after 8 years teaching abroad. is it possible to be as successful/lucky in auckland? i wanna move there permanently and would like a job on arrival. is there much work at all?
keitepai

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,

I was thinking maybe you had a degree in Education which would have made it easier for you. Auckland, Wellington maybe Hamilton are the best places for you to seek ESL work but quotes such as below from job sites explain the situation better.

"New Zealand is a lot like Australia in that there are not as many opportunities as one would think and it is heavily focused on the Asian community restrictive to the major cities and urban areas.
Competition is tough and if one doesn�t land a job in the public school system with one of their ESL programs, then it becomes even harder. Some language schools exist as well. You really have to look. " www.esljobfind.com

If you do manage to get a job in a public school you will need to apply for Teacher registration etc, I can give you the relevant websites if you want to go that way. My opinion is to make enquiries/applications before you go, NZ employers are more cautious I think than Australian. But then again sometimes if you are in the right place at the right time.......
Look at the Education Gazette for public school jobs; www.edgazette.govt.nz they are all advertised here including ESL or lecturing jobs. Also the Ministry of Education website may give you info you need to make the decision.

Just out of interest - Why Auckland?

Good luck Very Happy
scb222

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: auckland Reply with quote

why auckland? cos anywhere else is way too small. even auckland is pushing it. as for public schools, i dont think i qualify for those jobs. i was specifically asking about the esl colleges teaching international students.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: