Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are the prospects of teaching in New Zealand?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackintokyo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: What are the prospects of teaching in New Zealand? Reply with quote

I have taught for the past 11 years in Tokyo but am thinking about semi-retiring and settling in New Zealand - have heard that the southern island is God's Own Country. I have an Australian passport so should be o.k. from that point. I have a M.Ed (TESOL). Are there any possiblities in Christchurch - or in that 'Shangri la' Queenstown?
jackintokyo
keitepai

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you only wanting an ESL job or will you apply for private schools also?
You are right you will have no problem if you are an Australian - everything is reciprocal.

There are jobs available but most seem to be in the North Island Auckland area which is because nobody wants to live there and the kids can be badly behaved.
Queenstown is not all that - if you like cold, damp long winters with spectacular scenery and skiing then it's the place for you! Christchurch hmmm pollution, bitter cold winters and a few issues from the skinhead community..........not my idea of utopia.

Nelson (top of the south) is very nice, more sun but still great scenery and stuff to do. Tauranga in the North Island also is one of my picks.
Very Happy
jackintokyo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Living and teaching in New Zealand. Reply with quote

Many thanks for your thoughtful reply. I guess from this, and previous postings you must be a Kiwi.
I hope to buy an apartment in NZ and ideally pick up some part-time teaching. Although I have a M.Ed(TESOL) I don't think I would be qualified to teach in public schools. I would be looking, I should imagine for TEFL teaching. My wife, who is Japanese, would definitely not like to live in some remote area - being used to the Tokyo life.
Re Nelson - I saw an ad. for TEFL teachers there and looked at photos of the area - absolutely beautiful!
Incidentally I am in Adelaide at the moment having thankfuly escaped the Tokyo summer but will return to Tokyo next week. I am staying with my grown-up married children. I spent a few weeks teaching at a college - mostly with migrants. It was interesting but full-on compared with my work in Japan.
I hope you are enjoying your stay in Turkey. It must be absolutely fascinating. If I were 20 years younger that would be a destination for me.
Jack
keitepai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, good Kiwi spotting!!

I just wanted to reply and say that while Nelson is great your wife may not like it as much - it can be a bit 'provincial'. If you can score a job there you will have a great time, teaching standards are high in both private and public schools and institutions as jobs are highly sought.
Good luck and hope you enjoy Very Happy
G Cthulhu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keitepai wrote:

I just wanted to reply and say that while Nelson is great your wife may not like it as much - it can be a bit 'provincial'.

I'd say all of NZ can be a "bit provincial" if you've ever lived in a real country or city. The place seems hellbent on emulating all the worst points of British chav culture, but without any of the sophistication and refinment that it's famous for... Rolling Eyes

If anything, IMO Nelson might be a bit better because you're only dealing with garden variety yokels and inbreds in Nelson, not like the hightech morons in the larger centres.

[Me, low opinion of my average countryman these days? Whatever gave it away? Although, to be honest, it's no worse than Australian really. Except the kiwi knuckledraggers can usually spell better than their Oz cousins.]
jackintokyo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: New Zealand Reply with quote

Oh dear!

There goes one retirement idea!
My house in Melbourne - or the kids' houses in Adelaide now are seeming more attractive.
I migrated from Newcastle on Tyne to Oz 40 years ago to escape the neanderthals but apparently the banks of the Tyne in Walker and Byker are now covered with condos and outside restaurants where the locals discuss Proust over their cafe lattes.
I always admired the Kiwis from afar for their brave stances against you- know- who. and their apparent tolerance.
Perhaps I should just stay in Tokyo and enjoy the company of my Japanese women students who are charming and well-educated.
Jack
keitepai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really can't think of many 'neanderthals' in Nelson - they can't afford it Laughing I can't either so what does that make me!!!

Really, it is very nice there - I left for financial reasons mainly but now I realise Kiwi's can be too introspective and intense about any issue that comes up, especially politics or NZ. I needed air Laughing Some people thrive in that climate.
I enjoyed the Australian laid back 'who cares' attitude for 2 years but also found them very selfish at times, then left for Istanbul which has really opened my mind to poverty, history and culture. Every country has it's up and down sides but NZ has it pretty good in a clean, green nuclear free way and IQ levels are surely not bad. Maybe if more of us went and saw how the others live we would not think it is all about us Laughing

I may return to my provincial yokel roots in a few years but I will have chosen it - and I will choose Gisborne actually in NZ. I miss people who know what jandals, gumboots, winegums and toffee pops are Very Happy
Gisborne is somewhat isolated and with a few issues but great wine, food weather and beaches all with a generous sprinkling of yokels, intellectuals and greenies. I'm just saving up now........

Don't discount NZ until you have been there at least, if you don't like it then there are lots of cheap flights to Australia Very Happy
jackintokyo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: New Zealand Reply with quote

I wish Aussies had such passion about political matters - sport is what fires them up and I mean mainly watching sport. When I was there a couple of weeks ago I was staggered at so many fatties. Apparently we have overtaken America on the obesity front.
I will certainly visit NZ when deciding a final resting place. Please let me know if you know of a place that satisfies all my criteria.
I envy you in Turkey soaking up all that history and culture - but I guess you will not be on such a high salary!

Thanks,
Jack
keitepai

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right again about salary in Turkey especially living in Istanbul but hey it's an experience and it has opened my eyes. I will have to look at better places next contract round - how is Tokyo for jobs and salary?

I was wondering what you would think of Wellington - it is a city! Small by your standards but the capital of NZ, very arty, good food especially seafood, culturally diverse, attractive, fairly normal people barring one or two inland suburbs which I won't mention! Easy to access the rest of the country. also has an international airport which you might prefer?

VERY windy and kinda wet at times but not too cold like the south. I just like the vibe there. Actually it is too big for me except to visit Shocked I know all you city people will roll their eyes Laughing And here I am in Istanbul!!
jackintokyo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: How is it in Tokyo? Reply with quote

I have been here for 11 years and at first I worked for Shane - a British school. They were good to me and found me good accommodation and fortunately the two Brit managers were first class. I finished a 6 month contract and then started doing mostly private adult classes. At that time it was not so difficult but now finding students is becoming more difficult. You would have no trouble finding a job with an English school - e.g. Shane but the salary is fairly scant. The pay would average about 250,000 yen per month which at the present exchange rate would be about U.S.$2,500 per month. I have thoroughly enjoyed my 11 years here and have had the privilege of teaching many wonderful Japanese students and some of my students have been with me for more than 10 years. I also have a wonderful Japanese wife. It is said that Japan has the best things and also the worst.
As I mentioned I am looking to retire - being of quite advanced years but honestly I will be very reluctant to leave here. I recently finished a M.Ed(TESOL) and entertained the hope of getting some work at a university. Probably for a younger person that would be quite a good career and I think the salary is good in universities. If you have a M.A. and are prepared to learn Japanese I think there would be good prospects. You sound from your helpful postings that you would fit in anywhere.
If I can provide information please don't hesitate.
Jack
keitepai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Jack,

Thanks for the info - it is something to consider anyway.
Unfortunately I don't have a Masters but do ok with my BEd and my teaching experience. I keep thinking I should do my Masters but the thought of a thesis just leaves me cold. Shocked
The salary you quoted is actually similar to what I am on now but it is all relative to cost of living and package provided in each country.

Salary amounts look good in Indonesia/Philippines so think I will apply there and see what happens. I prefer to work at international schools as I have a young family and free private school is one of the bonuses!

I have a fairly adaptable nature but isn't that a requirement for international teaching?! Every work day is different here in Turkey and I love that.

I may PM you around job application time if thats ok for more info.
Very Happy
jackintokyo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: from Jack Curran Reply with quote

Good luck and if I can help in any way....
You must like hot weather - Phillipines and Indonesia whew! Tokyo is unbearable in summer and I have to escape for 2 months to Adelaide. For me - hot weather - no thanks.
I would guess that you would be better off in Turkey, monetary wise, if the salary in Turkey is comparable. The cost of living here is quite high.
Jack
artemisia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: What are the prospects of teaching in New Zealand? Reply with quote

There are opportunities in tefl but they're limited and the cost of living doesn't really match the amount you can earn. The amount of tefl work in language schools varies according to seasons though it is sometimes possible to get a 'proper' job with one. Anyone wanting this would be best to do a search on language schools and contact them first. University jobs are very competitive and hard to get. I'd say years of experience in various countries and at least an MA is what they look for.

If money's not really an issue and you just want some work to top up the coffers then the biggest cities are probably the most interesting places to live.
On the whole NZ is a good place to live but the work opportunities are limited (population 4.5 million).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: