Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Areas where Language Schools are most concentrated in Paris

View previous topic :: View next topic  
colloquium

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Areas where Language Schools are most concentrated in Paris Reply with quote

Hi,

After weighing up my options, I feel that having recently completed my CELTA course and subsequently failing to locate any kind of teaching work here in the UK, I should just leave the UK and relocate to a place where my chances will be far greater.

So I've chosen Paris, because... well, it's not very far away and travelling will be cheap and easy.

I just want a bit of teaching experience, and to learn some French.

I want to leave January, arrive, spend some time in a hostel and look for work; see if I can eventually support myself and then hopefully look for a more permenant residence.

Can anyone give me some very rudimentary advice? Is jan a good time to go? Which area is best to stay in while living in a hostel and search for work?

I just need some basic knowledge: the essentials. What do I need to know to survive and successfully subsist in Paris?

I am not afraid of hard work, and I've not got some kind of romantic vision so please spare me the warnings and horror stories (unless they relate to an important point of course!).
bsjess

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Coming to Paris Reply with quote

Hi.

Try FUSAC: http://www.fusac.fr/en/annonces_categories.php
You should find some job ads there for Paris, not to mention other possible babysitting live-in offers.

Is January a good time to go? Pretty much any time is OK, as long as it's not August. It's true many schools renew their language teaching contracts around September, but January is a big renewal period as well.

Check out the "getting teaching work in France" page here:
http://www.tesol-france.org/Jobs.php
As well as other Frequently Asked Questions on teaching in France:
http://www.tesol-france.org/FAQ.php5

You should definitely find some concrete information there.

There isn't one area in Paris where the schools are concentrated. You won't be able to avoid commuting, that's for sure. Language schools tend to send their teachers directly to the companies (in and out of Paris)
But the public transportation system is pretty darn good here.

Good luck and happy holidays.
rogan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For accomodation try www.fuaj.org - the international Hostel association.

If you are registered unemployed in the UK your Job Centre European Advisor can arrange travel grants especially if you have interviews already set up.
You can also continue to claim unemployment benefit for 3 months while you look for work in France (or any other EU country)
dwen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogan wrote:
For accomodation try www.fuaj.org - the international Hostel association.

If you are registered unemployed in the UK your Job Centre European Advisor can arrange travel grants especially if you have interviews already set up.
You can also continue to claim unemployment benefit for 3 months while you look for work in France (or any other EU country)

Bugger, I didn't know this. Do you have any more information about this? I signed off at the end of December and am living in Spain but still haven't found a job. Do you if I can re-sign on for these 3 months whilst living here? Very unlikely I presume....
rogan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short answer is no.

You could even have taken your rights to have unemployment benefit along with you - before you moved.

You could go back to the UK and start over, probably, as long as you still have enough paid NI contributions for the relevent year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: