Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Telelangue - information?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
28lbs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Telelangue - information? Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm fairly new to the job-searching world of Paris, but I've been offered a job a Telelangue. I can see that this place has been mentioned before in a few posts, but all of them quite old now. I was just wondering if anyone had any info on the place. Is it an OK place to work? (I know the salary isn't brilliant, but it seems ok?) Will I get guaranteed hours and a fairly regular schedule of work?

Any info or opinions from people that know Telelangue and may even work there would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.
danielita

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at Telelangue until last month. They were very good to work for. I always got paid on time and there is a lot of autonomy with the job. You will not be guaranteed hours. You can set your availability and then students sign up for your time slots. In the beginning, things were slow and I didn't have many students (it was during the summer which is very slow for France) however during peak times, all of my time slots were full. You do have a lot of flexibility with your schedule. You set your availability with them (specified hours when you are available for have students sign up), but you have the ability to block off hours/days/weeks for holidays or whatever. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions...

D
28lbs

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Danielita. I am going to work there and I am starting on Monday. If anyone else is interested in this co, let me know and I can give you the inside info next week. I am looking forward to it.
Dee_Dee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: telelangue Reply with quote

Hi 28lbs, I've been working for telelangue for almost one month now, and I wondered how you were finding it??
28lbs

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it didn't work out... I only lasted 6 weeks. I didn't really find them very easy to work with, I had too many cancellations and some very very difficult students who very clearly told me they didn't want English lessons, they were only coming along because they were forced.
I didn't enjoy the experience and decided that I couldn't work there anymore. It was my first experience with English teaching and my last.

How are you finding it?
danielita

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

28lbs, sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience at Telelangue. Perhaps I was lucky enough to have some really great students. As for cancellations, the students work and often have to cancel as unscheduled meetings pop up. If they cancel within 6 hours of the scheduled lesson, you get paid, more than 6 hours you don't get paid. You would likely find the same situation with private students as well.
As for resistant students, I can't say I ever had many of those either. Perhaps I was just fortunate with the timeslots that I gave.

Dee Dee, I hope it works out better for you.

D
Dee_Dee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame you have had a bad experience 28lbs -I've had a few 'moments' myself! I find most of the students are ok though, but there's a few who very obviously only take the lessons because they have to. It's difficult to teach students like that, and can sometimes be frustrating. I have one student in particular who I dread teaching, but no matter what job you do, there's always one! What about you Danielita, who are you teaching for now?
danielita

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left Telelangue to work in Mexico. My students are 18-25 and I too, have students here that are in my class because they have to be. I don't think that you can avoid it no matter where you teach. Not everyone is intrinsically motivated to learn English.
goodpupiless

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Telelangue Reply with quote

Hello to everyone,

I just saw this forum and I thought that I will just leave my fingerprint.

I started to work for Telelangue about 2 years ago as a face to face teacher in Paris. I worked for a couple of important companies and I really enjoyed the work in the companies, because you get to understand the French way of working.

Well, now, back at home, I actually stayed with them to teach over the phone. I really enjoy my work. And it was just a great opportunity to leave one country but to work still for the same company.

I am sorry for those who had a bad experience with them, but I can only say that TELELANGUE is a real good place to work.
eekai

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been working with them for over 4 months now and so far so good. money comes on time and the system is very organized. i like how you are in control of your own time. sure the students cancel a lot but there are still a lot of students out there and i never go below 4 hours per day.
bsjess

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Telelangue Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

It's nice to read about your experiences with Telelangue (even though I can't stand their ads in the metro!)

I'm a bit surprised to hear that the company has a six-hour-in-advance cancellation policy. Six hours is nothing compared to other language schools where the norm is (I've been led to believe) 48 hours. Some schools ask for a 24-hour-notice from the student. And this means business hours. So, if the student cancels on Friday for a class that takes place on Monday, then the teacher still gets paid.

If I were you, I would look into that. Six hours is really really really pushing it. Look at it this way. You buy a ticket to the opera and don't show up, you don't get another chance and don't get your money back.

I'd be curious to know what the cancellation policies of other schools in Paris are. As an independent, that 48-hour-cancellation policy goes right into my client contracts. No exceptions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: