Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this offer any good?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dreadnought v.2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Is this offer any good? Reply with quote

Just been offered a job in Singapore. Pay is 5500 Singapore dollars a month plus another 1600 housing allowance. Is this livable in Singapore? What kind of accommodation could I get for that? I have a wife and young child to support as well, so I have to assume some of that would go on education etc.

Any comments from EFLers who've worked in Singapore very welcome!
sheepshead

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Singapore job offer. Reply with quote

This money seems alright. It is about what you would need to live there as it is a rather expensive place, . . medical, food etc.

Accommodation: Last time I researched Singapore's accommodation it seems that any real sort of apartment is priced around S$1800 up.

Education: Education for your child / children will eat a lump out of the salary.

Do more research!

Caveat Emptor!
lizziebennet

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money is pretty good for esl, most places pay between $3200 and $4000. So over 5000 is really good!

As I have said previously, please ignore some of the negative posts on the Singapore forum. Someone obviously had one bad experience and has made it thier mission to turn people off teaching in Singapore.

I taught there this year and left last month due to personal reasons. I have a friend who I grew up with who worked at I Can Read for 2 years and she misses Singapore so much that she is returning to teach at a school similar to I Can Read started by ex I Can Read Employees.

I have taught in a few countries and lived in Korea for 5 years but Singapore was by far the best place... I don't have enough time to write responses to a number of untrue answers that have been given to people's questions.

But PM me should you need any help!
lizziebennet

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a couple we were able to survive on S$4000 a month and save S$4000.

Designer funished 2 bedroom HDB apartment with aircon on East Coast (Walking distance from MRT and also 2 min from bus stop) $1900
Cable and Internet with free computer so more exp than normal $145
Gas and Electricity $120
Taxi to work (non peak time) $120 a month (bus way cheaper if you wanna save)
MRT Cards $70 ($35 each for not only to get to work but to go shopping etc)

Leaves us with $1655 for food, eating out, clothes, shoes and spending money.

Alcohol is expensive so if you are expecting to drink cocktails for less than $20 that may be a problem!

But you can but a bottle of good Australian red wine at Sheng Shong for $16. Or you can buy a russian flask and put some vodka in it for when you go out as someone I know does (I don't drink anymore but even the virgin cockails cost $14). There are happy hours which you can find out about where you can get stuff for half the price. Arab street is great and you can get 6 beers for $35 or something and hire a hookah to smoke if you want. Little India is good too and there are resturants where you can get a whole set meal for as little as $6.

If you are not a couple but willing to share you can even save! You can also hire a studio apt with a pool and facilities for $1500. It all depends on how much you would like to save...

Only bad thing is
that when you arrive you have to have start up money. You need a deposit as well as first months rent and last months rent.

And you have to pay an agents fee (although if you do it through www.rentnow.com.sg you don't have to pay an agents fee at all)

But it is worth it after all that.

Last edited by lizziebennet on Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
smilla

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I have a couple of questions but can't PM you due to not having enough posts yet.

I am moving to singapore with my partner in a month. I am studying a masters in applied linguistics and I want to do a TESOL course - I am currently looking into the TESOL Diploma at the British Education Centre.

my questions are:

Is a MA in AL and a TESOL diploma enough to get a job in Singapore qualification-wise?

I complete my masters in either may or nov next year depending on whether I can manage three subjects. Is it possible to get a job with a Grad Dip in AL and a TESOL dip or will I definitely need to wait until I complete the masters?

Also, is it possible to get a job with little practical teaching experience but the right qualifications?

Is it possible to do volunteer work in Singapore to get experience?

Is the TESOL Dip at the BEC a well regarded course?

Thanks for reading.
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory, the minimun qual to teach here is a BA (a white face helps enormously). The more experience and qualifications you have, the more advanced the levels you are certified by the MOE to teach.

With your paperwork, you will find work no problem. However, finding a nice school to work at will be the real challenge.
lizziebennet

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Smilla,

To be honest I don't know much about the hiring requirements. I do know that we have degrees (MA, BA) and I have a CELTA and my husband has a TESOL.

I also don't know about that TESOL, I always suggest that people do a CELTA. I think the British Council offer CELTA courses. If I were you I would check that out.

If you are with a partner you should be able to find work easily, but the pay may not be excellent. Nevertheless, getting that experience will look good on your CV. There are quite a few school advertising for part time teachers.

Also you could advertise on gumtree.sg for private students. If you make friends with Koreans there are always privates to be had.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: