Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Typical probs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karla

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 8:01 am    Post subject: Typical probs Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

Was wondering if someone give me an idea of what is most difficult for Arab learners to master in English?

(I'm in Poland right now, and articles drive these folk nuts, as does "th" and the fact that the perfect and continuous don't exist for them.)

Cheers,
Karla
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karla,

That is a pretty general question. As relates to which skill? For instance, Arabs tend to talk your arm off, but have difficulties with reading and writing. Specifically, there is no 'p' in Arabic, so they can't discriminate a difference there and you end up with things like 'bark the car' and 'I have a broblem.' Some dialects of Arabic have problems with the 'th' and turn it into a 'z' sound.

In reading the biggest difficulty is that in Arabic, reading is used to practice pronunciation, so they tend to want to read orally concentrating on that and rather ignoring what it actually says. Smile This causes them difficulties mainly if they need to be able to read English for academic study.

Writing is probably the biggest problem as it is difficult to find two languages as different rhetorically than Arabic and English. Whereas English is a language that prefers to say the most with the least amount of words - keep it simple, Arabic writing tends to say the least with as many words as possible. (no criticism intended - it is just a very flowery language)

Grammatically speaking, Arabic has no indefinite article, so they have more problems with 'a' than with 'the' which exists in Arabic using different rules, of course. The sentence structure, which relates to the rhetoric above allows mostly the use of long sentences which English would describe as a 'run-on' or 'comma splice.' They can write a whole page and not have a single full-stop!! And, they tend to want to start every sentence with 'and.' Smile

I taught mainly writing for many years and it was quite a challenge. Now that I have written all this --- I wonder why you are asking --- are you just curious?

VS
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite 'p' and 'b' one is:

"Miss, I need some banadol for my beriod bain".
Albulbul

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: ?? Reply with quote

No perfect in Polish ?

The distinction betwen perfective and imperfective is crucial to the question of aspect in Polish and in other Slavonic Languages.
tefllifer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be 'no berfect in Bolish'? - Right?
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: aspct in Slavic Reply with quote

Brobably :P

For English-speakers the distinction between the two diferent aspects in Slavic Languages is the "Ass's Bridge". Some (the "asses") never passs over it !. I am one of those and I have given up trying to understand the distinction, but I can still communicate.

A bit like my Arab students who never handle tenses but say :
"I go Corniche yesterday."
"I go Corniche today."
"I go Corniche tomorrow"

Or
"I am go" for Present
and
"I was go" for Past
dmb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Or
"I am go" for Present
and
"I was go" for Past"

Tell me about it I've been marking exams all day.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Scot's message:

A bit like my Arab students who never handle tenses but say :
"I go Corniche yesterday."
"I go Corniche today."
"I go Corniche tomorrow"

That is exactly how I speak Spanish. This is the lazy language learner system for avoiding the burden of memorizing conjugations of the different tenses. Embarassed In Spanish I just added the appropriate pronoun and time marker and off I went. Isn't this perfectly appropriate under the 'communicative competance' approach to teaching language?? Smile

VS
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Don't be tense Reply with quote

Dear scot47 and VS,
Well, that certainly works for Bahasa Indonesian:

"The basic word order is SVO. Verbs are not inflected for person or number, and there are no tenses; tense is denoted by time adverbs (such as yesterday) or by other tense indicators, such as sudah, meaning already."
Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

Let's declare that all languages work that way. I believe in simplification!! Cool

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 5:47 am    Post subject: Intlang ? Reply with quote

I did see some suggestson once that Bahasa Indonesia - or Malay - would be better suited as an international language than English.

Simple Grammar and regular orthography.

It ain't gonna happen though !
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Typical probs Reply with quote

Karla wrote:

Was wondering if someone give me an idea of what is most difficult for Arab learners to master in English?

Ha! Forget English -- the most difficult thing for Arab learners to master in ANY language is driving a car. Wink
dmb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....Or turning up on time.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Karla,
While I agree with the above posters, my candidates for "most difficult" would be:

grammar: tenses, prepositions, articles

writing: run-ons, fragments, coherence, unity, spelling and word choice

reading: inferences, context clues and scanning

Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: