Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TEFL Newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rapps

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: TEFL Newbie Reply with quote

I'm an accounting student just finishing up my masters degree in the states. I should have my CPA in about 2 months, and I've been accepted into law school. I love to teach and travel and am thinking about going abroad for a year and deferring my law school acceptance.

I applied to some programs in Japan, but I've read lots of bad things about the "conversational" schools. My goal is to become more proficient in the English language and more comfortable in front of groups (Both very important things for law school). I'm pretty good with those things now, but being an accountant, I'm sure most every other lawyer is probably better than I.

Do you think a TEFL course and then teaching for a year would help me improve the those areas and also have a good time living and learning abroad? Prague sounds great! Are jobs in Prague a 1-year commitment? Do they have shorter contracts? I know that most of the Japanese schools are 1-yr minimum.

Also, is the CR going to the Euro in May? Will this make things slightly more expensive than before?

Any advice?
Thanks so much!!
Jason
denise

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re. the length of the contracts: when I was there (1999-2001), contracts generally ran from September to June--a full academic year. If you get there after September, you may have a shorter contract (starting whenever you arrive and ending in June.)

d
rapps

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! You mentioned ITC as where you got your TEFL? How was your experience getting job placement following the course?
Deborah

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days, the job market's fairly saturated in the city. If you are certain you want Prague, my advice would be to arrive in the summer and start applying in August for September contract starts.
denise

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was there, ITC had a good job placement service. During the third or fourth week of the course, they invited several local schools to come in and do presentations/recruitment. Many of us had interviews lined up before the course ended. I think I actually got two or three offers before the course ended, at at least within a few days of it ending.

d
rapps

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I find a definitive answer as to the EU immigration/visa problems that could face Americans this summer looking for work in Prague?
Deborah

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try the embassy website for the Czech embassy nearest you. If you're writing from the US, try the one in DC.
The general idea among expats in the CZ is that there probably won't be any major changes in regulations - at least for a while.
carmenz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It never hurts to ask if you can in fact have a shorter contract. In Korea for example I asked for a six month contract and a private school there said okay. In the end I didn't go, but I realized it never hurts to ask.

By the way A LOT of Nova teachers quit before six months are up....if that gives you any ideas. Apparently working conditions at NOVA are downright slavish and teachers get sick of it real quick. I have been in Japan for a few years and have met lots of NOVA teachers who complain nonstop about it. Of course there are some people who don't seem to mind NOVA, but complaining seems to be the norm among the teachers as far as I can tell... but I have never worked there so don't know about the conditions first hand.
carmenz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! I somehow posted the above response on the wrong branch......strange.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: