Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peruvian Culture? Does anyone like Lima? And bicycles.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
corporatehuman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Peruvian Culture? Does anyone like Lima? And bicycles. Reply with quote

Hi...recently I acquired a bit of wanderlust and just have been curious about Peru.

I don't know if anyone can -categorically- answer this, but what exactly are Peruvians like? I lived in Mexico for 3 years, so I could tell you what Mexicans are like...but Peruvians, no.

Is there an active arts scene in Lima? Theatre? Film? Sculpture etc. ? Is anyone familiar with it?

I taught ESL mostly independently in Mexico City for awhile, and used Segundomano to find private clients. I read in some other posts that independent teachers are paid 8-10 US dollars an hour on average. What is the average rent...500 dollars a month or something??

Also I bicycled everywhere in Mexico City, well in the center. I got quite used to it. If I went to Lima I'd want to bicycle there. I assume like Mexico City a lot of people bicycle...but was curious if anyone has done it yet in Peru.

And finally, is the pollution in Lima bad? I mean air quality wise? In Mexico City it did start to get to me.

Thanks!

Chris
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you, but you-d probably learn a lot by looking at
www.expatperu.com
www.livinginperu.com

Arts, yep, try Barranco. It-s a district in Lima.

500 a month, yep. Maybe 600 to 800 if you work a lot. YOu can live in that though, just budget.

Last edited by naturegirl321 on Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
mattyd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Biking in Lima! Reply with quote

I am a 36 yr old American who has lived in Lima for over a year. I feel like a kid when i am riding my bike on the malecon or the ciclovia and fortunately i do not have to pull stuff behind me. For real Sharon, when will your bashing end? Biking in any city can b dangerous, but thankfully Lima provides many places to enjoy your bike. There is also a nice 5 Km loop out on the sand hill in Chorillos that offers a great experience for off roading in the city. The ciclovia i ride from the malecon in San Isidro a El centro is a pleasant ride and takes you past many parks to dip ino and enjoy the scenery. There are other ciclovias in other districts but i have not ventured to them yet due to time constraints. Don't let NatureGirl's warped perspective of all things Lima scare you away. I bet she never rode a bike in the city but feels the need to comment like always. Lima offers many venues for biking and i would be happy to show you!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Biking in Lima! Reply with quote

There are good places in MF and San Isidro to bike, off the roads, I wouldn't go biking on the streets.

I have ridden bikes in Peru, in Lima and Piura, but never on the roads, too risky, always on paths. I

I will say that most of the foreign men that I've met in Peru love it. It{sjust much easier being a man there. Peru was ok, but I'll have to say that after nearly 6 years there, it had more than taken its toll.
sistaray

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a pretty consistent defender of Lima on this board but have to say that it's bikeability is not good. I borrowed a bike from a friend, used it daily, and ended up giving it back a month later in frustration.

Sure, there are parts of Lima that are more bikeable than others, but my rides there felt treacherous and were never very enjoyable--it felt like a battle to go from point a to point b.

Frankly, if I return to Latin America it would likely be to Mexico City and not Lima, with bikeability being a key factor.
ZPlatypus

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Lima Reply with quote

I've lived in both Lima and Mexico City, and enjoyed Lima so much more. The food was much better (and inexpensive), the people overall friendlier to US cits. Lima is much safer also.

Mexico City is definitely more polluted than Lima, but while in Lima I just wished it would rain once in awhile. During the "cloudy season" it always seemed to be on the verge of rain for months at a time, but never more than a drizzle.

I wished I brought my bike to Lima too.
sistaray

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Lima Reply with quote

ZPlatypus wrote:
I wished I brought my bike to Lima too.

I'm curious to know which parts of Lima you'd have tried biking in. I found it moderately bikeable in the wealthier districts (Miraflores, San Isidro) and along the Salaverry bike trail, but mostly treacherous elsewhere.
ZPlatypus

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:45 pm    Post subject: bikes Reply with quote

I lived in Miraflores on the Malecon, so I'd have ridden my bike in parts of Miraflores and on the track (mountain bike) on one end of the Malecon, near the mini Nazca Lines.

I should've clarified the first time, but it was late, I was tired, etc etc.

I agree that for the parts of Lima outside Miraflores and San Isidro, I didn't see any places I'd try biking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: