Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Online communities for young EFL learners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Online communities for young EFL learners Reply with quote

repost for this new more relevant forum

I'm looking to put together a program in a small Mexican town for young learners of English to take advantage of video/audio conferencing online with other classrooms and young learners from around the globe - native English speakers or non.

I'm just starting out with it and looking for ideas/examples to put me on the right path. anyone have experience with something similar?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
tttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Online communities for young EFL learners Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:

I'm looking to put together a program in a small Mexican town for young learners of English to take advantage of video/audio conferencing online with other classrooms and young learners from around the globe - native English speakers or non.

I'm just starting out with it and looking for ideas/examples to put me on the right path. anyone have experience with something similar?

School to school it would be a good idea BUT the difference in time zones make it somewhat impractical.

In North America you only span 4 time zones but if you want to add Europe or Asia to the mix there can be as much as 12 hours difference (plus or minus) and so makes it a practical impossibility for most "global" connections in real time.

Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it is a hurdle, though I think there is enough range in any given school's schedule for some link up. Late afternoon in Italy say and morning in Mexico...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mr_Monkey

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It strikes me that the timezone issue is only relevant if your goal is to do some kind of hand-holdy "one world" conference.

The immediate issue that occurs to me is one of purpose - the use of real-time communications is driven by need. I don't randomly call people on Skype, for example, that I neither know nor care about. How can you expect your learners to do the same? "Communicate with this person because I tell you to" is hardly a regular feature of any kind of discourse.

I run a small shool in the UK, and would be very happy to have my learners link up with yours (although my learners are adults, predominantly young ones) - but there's little point in it unless there's an overarching goal for it.

What is the purpose of the project?
cmp45

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Online communities for young EFL learners Reply with quote

Guy Courchesne wrote:

If you read again...I think you will get that Guy is looking for some sort of collaboration -brainstorming and development of an idea/ examples Rolling Eyes
maybe start with setting some perameters regarding age group and level of English...I think it's a great idea...am sure more people will contribute as they become aware of the new forum.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am indeed just starting out with it, with only a few ideas out of the gate. And I agree, there must be a purpose to the communication.

The students in Mexico are 12-18 in age, high intermediate level. For me the main purpose of a program is to expose the kids to other cultures, English speaking and otherwise, using technology. These kids live in a small corner of Mexico and get little to no interaction with people outside Mexico, let alone outside their state.

I was going to wait a bit before checking if anyone had a class they'd like to link up with us, but if you'd like to hash out some ideas with me Monkey, send me a PM.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea Guy. I'd definitely be up for thrashing out some ideas with you.

Up until this year, I was teaching state school kids (14 - 16) during the mornings, large classes, and no opportunities to do anything online. (No computers available.) But from next year on, things might well change and I might be able to "sell" the idea of getting the students speaking practice through linking up with others. We're talking early afternoon lessons here. It would be an experiment, but worth a shot - if I get the hours. Let's talk about it!
angelabrookss

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really strikes me that the timezone issue is only relevant if your goal is to do some kind of hand-holdy "one world" conference!
tttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

angelabrookss wrote:
It really strikes me that the timezone issue is only relevant if your goal is to do some kind of hand-holdy "one world" conference!

From the original post:

Guy Courchesne wrote:
to take advantage of video/audio conferencing online with other classrooms and young learners from around the globe - native English speakers or non.

video/audio conference is done in real time... so time zones are an issue.

If they were e-mail pen pals then not an issue.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: