Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two Questions...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonnyBravo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: Two Questions... Reply with quote

Hello all -- I've been a lurker on ESL Cafe for something like 7 years now. Everything from Korea to Czech Republic, China to Argentina has seemed like a good plan at one time. Now, I'm really heading off. I settled it by buying a plane ticket a few days ago to Colombia for October 26th, which leades to question...

1) I have a return ticket for a duration of time greater than is allowed by a standard visitors visa. I'm told that proof of onward travel is required. Im not sure how people plan many month backpacking trips if they are not allowed to return to their arrival airport beyond what would have been an expired visitors visa. Can I get a bus ticket out of the country somewhere online so I that I can bring it to the airport with me on my way out?

I have found several bus companies selling tickets online, but its all for domestic travel. Any other suggestions on how to circumvent this issue? I may end up going to ecuador for a bit anyway, so I wouldnt mind buying the bus ticket if I could find a place to do it.

2) I was sold on the idea of CELTA in Bogota but the only place to do it between my arrival and 2011 is at british council for 4 million pesos, which is something like $2,300 right now. Seems just a bit too expensive. My budget is slightly tighter than I expected and the price is a lot more than I expected. I am consiudering taking the Southern Cross course on the coast of Ecuador, which is similarly priced but includes food and housing for a month. Is CELTA the way to go? I havent looked at any other course options except for CELTA until now. Are any of the rest worth the money?

Thanks for your help in advance. I can't wait to get down there and share some of my experiences on here.

Jon
fladude

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in a similar boat, looking for a CELTA for next year. thought I read that International House in Bogota offered a CELTA for $1595. I'm not sure if that is accurate as some people say that they do not offer one. I am not sure but I would check. I also looked into Southern Cross but was turned off by the fact that the company has a policy against ever hiring Americans. I would rather pay a little more and work with a company that doesn't discriminate.
JonnyBravo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the price is about right for what I remember seeing IH offer it for. The problem for me is that they dont offer a course from the day I land (oct. 26) until early 2011. I wasn't looking to work for southern cross, just possibly take the course there, though I'd rather take the course in colombia.
fladude

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonnyBravo wrote:
I wasn't looking to work for southern cross, just possibly take the course there, though I'd rather take the course in colombia.

I didn't want to work for them either, but that's not really the point.
JonnyBravo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess its a fair point (and I am American as well). What's their justification?
fladude

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonnyBravo wrote:
I guess its a fair point (and I am American as well). What's their justification?

They just told me (and I asked them) that they were a British only school and only taught British English. I guess by their logic, American English is inferior or something. Anyway, I decided that they did not really need American students. I'll give my inferior American money to someone else. They can stick strictly with the pound sterling.

I wouldn't want to learn to teach British English anyway...... Very Happy
sroetem

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The british can be difficult to understand.
Many students all over the world tell me this. Maybe you're better
off speaking proper english.
travelNick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standard tourist visa is 60 days. You can extend it upt to 6 months. That's how you can have an onward flight for after your initial visa period.
Daddyo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Rival languages Reply with quote

sroetem wrote:
The british can be difficult to understand.
Many students all over the world tell me this. Maybe you're better
off speaking proper english.

Yeah, unfortunately the British have a lock on English language training through the British Institute and Council and Cambridge, like the French with the Alliance Francais. What's an even greater pity is the high regard other nationalities have for the British Institute's method of rating a non native speaker's fluency. For some reason, it's terribly important for language learners in Latin America to comprehend a third party conversation among a bunch of Scots at a soccer match. I'm not kidding. They test comprehension with a series of recorded conversations just like that, and if you can't make it out you fail. Well, krist, I dont know what, "... I'm in a shite mood 'cause I'm off the fags..." means either, and I'm not likely to even encounter it in most of the English speaking world. The English are always bleating about "our language", I keep reading those words in newspaper columns and op/ed pages in the British press. Well maybe it's their language, but it's also French and Latin and Greek and Saxon ... in fact the only bit that's really theirs is the anglo part ... the really vulgar words. Even so, people in the UK all manage to sound the same. Everything is brilliant, or bloody, or shite, or taking the piss. I have the same complaint with the Spanish and the French. These mother countries have over standardized their languages. Its far more interesting to listen to American slang and French Canadian jualle and Costa Rican pachuco than the queens and kings and presidents of Europe. So touche....

Last edited by Daddyo on Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
JonnyBravo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the detour regarding British sway on language instruction is really interesting, but I have two questions I'm desperately trying to find answers to here and elsewhere. I need to make some decisions, buy another ticket and possibly put a down-payment on a program to hold a spot.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Daddyo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonnyBravo wrote:
I think the detour regarding British sway on language instruction is really interesting, but I have two questions I'm desperately trying to find answers to here and elsewhere. I need to make some decisions, buy another ticket and possibly put a down-payment on a program to hold a spot.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Nyahahahah...the thread diverter strikes again! Sorry Mods, go ahead and delete that!

btw I have the goods on IH Bogota. PM me...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: