Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bogota Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prescott

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Bogota Questions Reply with quote

After much consideration I've decided to move to Bogota and try to make a go of it teaching English and studying Spanish. However there are a few things that concern me. One is the cost of living. Although I have a financial cushion I've read on this forum and on other Colombian forums that Bogota is an expensive place to live. I know that a budget hotel room can be had for $10-$12 US per day and that a filling, economical lunch costs as little as $3.00. US. I've also seen apartment shares on Craigslist Bogota for around $200 US. All this doesn't seem too bad so I'm just wondering what it is that makes Bogota expensive?
Assuming that things go well and Im able to get a steady teaching schedule as well as a work visa (maybe easier said than done) my plan is to try to enroll directly at la Universidad Nacional and take a graduate level course in Latin American or Colombian Literature. I asked a question about this on another Colombian forum and several posters advised me that it would be too dangerous due to the presence of Farc sympathisers on campus. Is this true and would it be better to study at another university?
I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thank you.
Prescott
spanglish

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had some jokers telling you that stuff about La Nacional. It's the most dynamic, interesting, vibrant, intelligent campus in Colombia. It's also very welcoming to foreigners and a great place to meet people. If you need to learn Spanish, enroll in their Spanish for foreingers course. If you already speak well, then do whatever interests you.

A budget hotel will cost more than what you're seeing, but a decent furnished room in a decent neighborhood can be had for $200-$350/month.

Expensive - well, shopping at the supermarket and going to nice, sitdown restaurants is quite expensive, as are rental prices ($400-$800 all expenses for a nice 1 bedroom, quite high for Latin America). You can easily spend $15-$20/person at a sitdown restaurant, not including alcohol. Typical lunches are delicious, healthy and cheap ($3-$5). Partying is expensive.

Just come! You're going to have a great time. And by all means, enroll at La Nacional.
windowlicker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That stuff about La Nacional may have been true years and years ago, but what Spanglish says is the reality of the current situation. People at La Nacional are by far the coolest, most interesting university students in the country, on average. The campus has a totally awesome vibe.

Bogot� does get a reputation for being expensive, but I think it's only expensive if you allow it to be. Anything that's been imported is generally very expensive, as are the very trendy parts of town. At the same time, it's very easy to find cheap options for just about everything. On average, I probably spent $1.2 million per month in Bogot� without being overly cautious about what I was spending (this doesn't include "deducted" expenses like taxes or health insurance...if you were to include that, I guess I was spending something like $1.4 million). On months when I traveled, I spent significantly more than this. On average, probably an additional $300,000 per weekend trip.

One word of caution - I think spanglish's figure of $200-350/month for a furnished room is true in that it "can be had," but in my opion it's extremely difficult to find a furnished room in a decent neighborhood for this price. I lived in three places in Bogota, all in the Chapinero Alto neighborhood. One was furnished, in an extremely small and uncomfortable room for $300,000 with no refrigerator in the apt. The second was furnished in a big group house which was awesome, though some might have considered it a little dirty, which ran me something like $550,000 I think. the last place was nice, in a furnished apartment but unfurnished room for $420,000.
windowlicker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking at it again, I think spanglish's figures are meant to be in USD, not pesos, in which case the $200-350 figure would be spot on.
spanglish

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I meant USD.
prescott

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the informative replies,friends
UrbanBedowin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Furnished rooms can be way to go as our friends stated. If you can find a co-signer for an apartment then you can get a studio/efficiency apartment for $300-400 in Chapinero which is a great centrally located area to start off in. I live in a brand new building in a nice studio/efficiency for $400 and there are plenty more.

As for expenses then do stay away from major supermarkets if possible or go there with a list for limited items. I always leave those places upset with the amount i've spent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: