Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EXTREME SUPERIOR ENGLISH - AREQUIPA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loves_it

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: EXTREME SUPERIOR ENGLISH - AREQUIPA Reply with quote

I'm writing here because I worked at Extreme English for over a year and thought people should know what it is like.

The students at this school are wonderful, and even though, at times, demonstrate a complete lack of motivation, teaching them can be wonderful. The pay is always on time, which is obviously a plus in Peru.

However, the man who runs this business is extremely greedy and more focused on making money than on the well-being of the school. He has absolutely no interest in his teachers, and this includes, both in the classroom and outside of the classroom. In the time that I was there, he never once stepped inside my classroom, despite 3 or 4 times that he said he would, but he still felt free to judge my teaching style, as well as the teaching styles of other teachers, who he also never seen 'in action.'

The rules of the institute are constantly changing, based on the boss's general attitude that day, and mainly the rules are only enforced for certain people. He demonstrates a clear preference towards men, and can be extremely disrespectful to women. He has made comments about women's bodies, and instead of applauding a woman teacher's popularity, claimed that it was only because the male students enjoyed looking at her. He gets wildly drunk on weekends WITH his staff, yet come Monday, expects there to be a high amount of respect for him among his staff

Because the boss is rarely present, he uses 'academic coordinators' to keep order and handle problems. In the time that I was there, there were 5 academic coordinators, and only one of these had had previous managerial experience. These people were little to no help in many cases, and not available often, despite their 'office hours'. They often enforced rules, that they themselves did not follow.

Extreme is a good place to work for people who want little to no involvement from their superior, and can handle listening to their superior criticize that which he does not understand in HIS OWN institute. I worked here for as long as I did because I had a relationship in Peru, but many teachers came and left within months because they could not cope with the constant micro-managing, threats, and hypocrisy. When I left after a little over a year, I received no gratitude, and as far as I'm concerned, it was a mutual attitute of 'good riddance'. I would warn teachers to be wary of this institute - it is not what it is promised to be and is full of internal strife and problems.
CountBassD

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this. I'm considering Arequipa or heading north to guaranteed jobs in Ecuador. Arequipa would be my first choice, but I have contacts in Ecuador, and if I head south from Lima it will be more of a risk.

My qualifications are almost completely experience based. I've been teaching Spanish speaking kids English for many years, but not TEFL and only 3 years of college. Would that be enough to get me a job there?

Even though this was a negative review of the school, I understand my lack of qualifications will make the pickings slim and no matter where I go I will have to deal with a certain amount of problems. As long as I'm making enough to feed and house myself in South America, that's all I need, I can deal with a difficult Director. I just love South America, I love teaching, and I have to get out of Chicago!
loves_it

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in all honesty, you could definitely get a job there. Teachers come and go so frequently, as I said, that there are almost always openings, and if there's nothing available, you will have the option to substitute until there is a position. Arequipa is not an expensive city to live in, and I found that I actually had enough money to save and go out for nice meals every now and then.
CountBassD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, thanks. Do classes run year round, or on the school schedule?
loves_it

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's year-round, but Dec, Jan, and Feb are really slow, and most of the teachers end up working less hours. So, if you do go, those would not be the good months to go during.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting it. Is the owner foreign or peruvian?
loves_it

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The owner is from the United States, and VERY proud of that! He was a former military man, if that gives a better insight to his personality.
loves_it

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also wanted to post quickly that the current owner of Maximo Nivel and the current owner of Extreme were actually partners at one point who split. I don't know what Maximo Nivel is like, but I know that the end of their partnership is messy and has a lot to do with their restrictive/paranoid contracts. (sorry, this seems like a tangent, but i was just reading about maximo nivel in this forum)
Giovanni85

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an interview with them next week. I'm pretty desperate at this point so if it's offered I think I'll take it. Are there other reputable schools in Arequipa I should look into? Reading the previous posts was very helpful. Thanks!
CountBassD

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giovanni85 wrote:
I have an interview with them next week. I'm pretty desperate at this point so if it's offered I think I'll take it. Are there other reputable schools in Arequipa I should look into? Reading the previous posts was very helpful. Thanks!

Are you in Arequipa now? Not much work? What are your qualifications? Have you had many interviews?

Sorry for all the questions, very curious about what people on the ground right now are experiencing.
Giovanni85

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not in Arequipa now however like I said, if I'm offered the job soon I'll most likely take it. I have a BA, TESOL Cert, and about 6 months of experience having taught in Italy and Mexico. I had an interview this week for a school in Guatemala and I'm hoping for one more in Ecuador after this one. However I thought my Guatemala interview was weak. When he asked me if I had any questions for him (the employer) I said no. Something tells that I should've at least asked him ONE question. Any suggestions?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

loves_it wrote:
I also wanted to post quickly that the current owner of Maximo Nivel and the current owner of Extreme were actually partners at one point who split. I don't know what Maximo Nivel is like, but I know that the end of their partnership is messy and has a lot to do with their restrictive/paranoid contracts. (sorry, this seems like a tangent, but i was just reading about maximo nivel in this forum)

Really? That's interesting. I know that the owner of MN seems to have drive, he's opened schools in Costa Rica, Guatemala and the US.
Aaron k

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, loves_it, would you mind sending me an email (I apparently don't have enough posts to pm you). I'm really interested to hear more about your experiences at Extreme English since I'm considering working there.

Also, any other places in Arequipa that are worth looking into?
Giovanni85

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked at Extreme for two months and I wouldn't recommend it. There are lots of other schools to work at in Arequipa.
nicoleee_

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are some other good schools in Arequipa?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: