Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What are my prospects like with an EU passport?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will CanBrit81 'starve to death' in Germany?
Yes
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
No
66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 3

CanBrit81

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: What are my prospects like with an EU passport? Reply with quote

Hi all,

So I've been reading these forums a lot and planning a move to Germany. It seems most of the questions regarding job prospects are asked by those with American or Canadian passports.

I have both a UK and Canadian passport, I am currently taking a TESL-Canada 120 hour in-class course, with 20 hours of observed practicum teaching and I am doing a Business-English specialization that gives me another 20 hours of observed Business-English teaching. I have a Masters Degree in history and for the last couple years I have been teaching history at the University of Auckland (before I quit the PhD program I was in). I also minored in German during my undergrad, my spoken German isn't amazing, but it's passable and I really want to improve it.

Some of the forum posts paint a pretty bleak picture of TEFL prospects in Germany. Are the prospects better for those with an EU passport? I have sent my CV out to a few places, there have been many replies but they all say they can't discuss employment unless I am in Germany.

I guess I am just looking for some peace of mind. I have a ticket booked to Frankfurt on Nov. 9th. I am realistic, I know I'm not going to make a million dollars teaching in Germany. I have $6000 Canadian saved up to see me through the initial phase. Is there anything else I should do, or have I prepared as much as I can? Just go to Frankfurt, try hard to find work and hope?

Any advice would be most appreciated!
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your qualifications are quite ok and you should be good for whatever work is going. The problem is simply the economy/job market - there just isn't tonnes of work out there. That's why your plan to go over and look in person is the best idea.

It also sounds like you've got a reasonable amount of funding: keep in mind that, at best, you're not likely to get a paycheck of any kind until end January - that's assuming that you land some work before Christmas to start early Jan. Schools normally pay at the end of the month worked.

Also keep in mind those summer months where there is really almost nothing going (August for sure, possibly most of July).

I predict that you'll be able to scratch up some bits and pieces, and maybe something better, for the first half of 2011. In that time period, don't stop hustling around to build local contacts and reputation. You will be most likely to get a 'real' solid contract beginning September 2011 for the coming year.

Basically, I guess you'll be living on the edge Nov-August, and can hopefully land something more stable by September. Just my guess - maybe you'll get luckier!
renovatio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is always work, especially in the Frankfurt area for native speakers, maybe not a lot but some. Your quals are good, so I wouldn't worry too much. You speak passable German too that will only get better with time, so that's a big plus. My German is getting better, but I wouldn't call it passable yet.
artemisia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CanBrit81 wrote:
Quote:
I am doing a Business-English specialization that gives me another 20 hours of observed Business-English teaching.

This, along with any possible direct business experience you might have, is likely to be your biggest asset in the ESL market in Germany. When I was there, German companies were always keen on teachers with business experience and that was more important than ESL quals. I don't think it would have changed that much and having some German is a big plus, too.

Are you planning on working as a freelancer? I assume you've sent your CV out to language schools but when you're in Germany you could consider approaching the HR at big and small companies directly. German companies are often loyal to their English language provider and will insist on working only with one or two schools. These days they may be a bit more pragmatic about looking for the best deal. I did a bit of direct teaching but was always slack about building this up. That's because at the time I was pursuing postgrad studies at uni and was not really there to be a language teacher. I just wanted enough work to get by.

Frankfurt will be a good starting point for looking for work so I think you'll be fine but, as Spiral says, it will take time to make and build up contacts.
So you'll be there in time for the Christmas markets. Wunderbar - check out the Gluhwein (sweet, hot mulled wine)! Smile
CanBrit81

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Thanks for the advice! Reply with quote

Hey all, I really want to thank you for the amazingly helpful posts. I did not expect such detailed replies. You definitely set my mind at ease but also kept me realistic in my expectations. I leave for Frankfurt in 2 weeks. I look forward to running into you all again on the forums.

Best wishes,
CanBrit81
niffree

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Working in Austria Reply with quote

I have family in Austria and my EU passport and Canadian passport. My qualifications include a B.A. and B.Ed. with TESOL .Having taught music for several years, I when on to teaching in Korea and China. I've been in the teaching field in government supported schools and had a part time business for several years. Always looking into innovative teaching methods, not many places in China are prepared to release autonomy to such a teacher.
I'm looking for a listing of schools that offer English classes. I have taught Business English and I am developing an English course for fashion designers. I could do this in many practical fields since I have some experience in woodworking, refinishing, sewing, and crafts.
Can someone help me?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: