Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teacher with German heritage seeks citizenship

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dime a dozen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Teacher with German heritage seeks citizenship Reply with quote

I've been working in Germany a few months and have found out that I can apply for citizenship because my parents were German at my time of birth. I'm still trying to work out all the details. Has anyone tried to change status from guestworking teacher to citizen; any advice? Is it true that I can opt to continue as a teacher in state education rather than do military service?

Thanks.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do "alternative service" but not sure if that includes teaching. The children of many of my friends in Germany have opted for a "non-military" form of service. It should be easy to get information.
Deicide

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

German citizenship? good luck... Laughing
Gerhard E. Jene

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked with the military to see if you can teach the troops English? That way you might be able to kill (haha) 2 birds with one stone. They may be able to give you an answer to this if asked. Worth checking. In times past people who were known as conscientious objctors were given other duties that did not interfere with their religious beliefs. As a teacher you may or may not have to do boot camp, but you stand a better chance of opting out from going to the front. Look into this as well to see if the military will allow this. Also check with a general practioner in regards to your health issues. If you have health issues that might help you to avoid active military duty.
harold_haller

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had students who are former military and they told me that people going to do their military duty do not get shipped off into infantry units. They just get basic training and do other duties. It is rather the career people that get shipped off to fight. That said, it is def. possible to avoid this. There are all kinds of civil service options to choose, from helping in a hospital to helping a Hausmeister run a student dorm. Just do a bit of research and I'm sure you'll figure it all out. Although, you have to be able to speak German on some basic level though to become a German citizen. Surely, some people slip through without meeting that requirement, but it is a requirement.
Glenlivet

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All over the world, people want the benefits of citizenship without the responsibilities. One of the reasons I left the UK.
roywebcafe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering which country you hail from originally? If outside the EU i could see the benefits but if your from another EU country I would love to know what the benefits there are to having German citizenship?

I am from UK but can see benefits to say Belgium citizenship such as better healthcare, pubs, learning french, dutch and maybe German if you go SE.
Der_Bomber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roywebcafe wrote:
Just wondering which country you hail from originally? If outside the EU i could see the benefits but if your from another EU country I would love to know what the benefits there are to having German citizenship?

I am from UK but can see benefits to say Belgium citizenship such as better healthcare, pubs, learning french, dutch and maybe German if you go SE.

I'm half German half brit.

I moved from my original German passport to a UK at aged 14 so i could go on a school field trip and so I didn't have to do National Service (which was a bit scarier at the time)

I'm staying on it for the time being as I think I'm still young enough to get called up for service and it seems to be better to have UK passport from a TEFL position.

However there are some definate advantages to a German E.U passport. When I moved to the UK German banks were TERRIBLE for personal banking, fees for everything. Now that situation is in reverse - English banks charge left right and centre and German banks offer incentives. But as I'm UK resident and no German passport I can't get a DKB account (even the Auslander account) unless I move back to DE...

Also I'm guessing you get treated slightly differently in some countries than others depending on your passport. I once found myself in some kind of holding pen in Rotterdam after a ferry journey waiting to be processesed by Dutch police simply for being a young man with an English passport daring to travel at the same time as a load of football fans!
niffree

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Changing status Reply with quote

When my father died, I inquired about dual citizenship and did this in Canada. It was a bit tedious, but now I have it. What is the next step once I come to Germany?
scot47

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Military Service in the Federal Republic is now HISTORY.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: