Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone in LA PIEDAD?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gingerlady

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Anyone in LA PIEDAD? Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm wondering how this town is-----air quality, atmosphere, safety, beauty........Is anyone teaching there that could give me some info?

Thanks!!
Phil_K

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not living or working there, but it is close to my mother-in-law's pueblo, where we have property, and unfortunately, I have to tell you I don't recommend that area right now, due to the drugs war affecting much of Michoac�n. There have been some shoot-outs right there in La Piedad.

Of course, if there is someone actually living there, I stand to be corrected. The reports are often more sensational than the reality!
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone in LA PIEDAD? Reply with quote

gingerlady wrote:
Hello,

I'm wondering how this town is-----air quality, atmosphere, safety, beauty........Is anyone teaching there that could give me some info?

Thanks!!

You are talking about ground zero for the drug war...

Only school I know of there is the infamous "Big Apple" school of English which anybody should steer well clear of even in the best of times and esp. right now.

Also be aware that most legit schools don�t recruit teachers from outside of Mexico sight unseen, only those with really bad reputations and in small out of the way towns do so (cause they can�t keep anybody who does stay for the whole contract anyways).

The low salaries which are paid are truly a joke. $4,000 pesos monthly is not enough to live on here and that comes out to less than $100 USD per week for a so-called professional teacher.

You get shared housing... If you like to spend most of your time at work and then in a house with the same folks, guess it could be OK. You also have to understand that the school controls your place where you live, your pay etc.

Does the school provide you with a FM-3 Mexican work visa? If so, do they have a lawyer or do you have to do all the paperwork on your own? Do you have to pay the almost $2,000 peso fee as well (half a month�s wages) or will they give you some crock story about how you are a volunteer and don�t need a FM-3 (which is a lie, you will be working for a salary and you NEED a FM-3 to legally work in Mexico).

Do they take taxes out? If so do they provide you with IMSS (Mexican public health insurance that ALL employee�s, both Mexican and foreigners are entitled to by Mexican Federal LAW)? What about public holidays? Vacation? Xmas bonus? All of which are strictly covered under Mexican Federal Labor Laws.

Search the Mexico forum for more info.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: