Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bullying
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
secretsquirrel

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: bullying managers Reply with quote

I had to laugh at WttW and his comments of earlier. Clearly he has little insight into management or any natural gifts AT ALL! To quote...

You're assuming that all teachers are honorable - laughable of course.

The fact that you laugh at your teachers speaks volumes about you, WttW. And I would presume that the same can be applied to managers - especially you?! In my experience, good managers are few and far between, and the good ones do not regard their teachers as sources of amusement (OK, at certain times, yes!)

Some staff need to be controlled, otherwise they do as they please.

Same for people who think they are 'managers', when they really are just teachers in a manager's position, i.e., no training, qualifications or disposition for management. They need putting in their place, reminding of how talentless they are.

Either you control the staffroom or it controls you.As they say.

Really?! Who says that? IS this your guiding principle? If so, you really do display a poverty of imagination AND ability! I can not believe that a so-called manager displays such a breathtaking shallowness of the task and contempt toward his teachers.

The problem with this forum is it's written by those with no idea of the demands of management.

Including you, it seems. I'm just guessing, but it looks like you have no idea of management either. What are your qualifications? Your experience? Your legitimacy?

I actually spent two years in a ME management post before I returned to the classroom. Let me first say that, as a manager, I found three main sources of pressure - the teachers, the students, and the senior management. The first two I could hande, as I was well-experienced (and respected) in doing so. The last was a whole different ball game.

Well, for the first year I just sat on my hands and did as I was told, like a good little newbie - jumping through hoops and such (when not sitting on my hands of course). But in the second year I was determined to stand up for myself and the teachers who were coming under increasing pressure to do extra tasks for no further reward.

Then, one day, I was asked to fire a teacher for no other reason than she hadn't been given a contract yet - so we should take advantage of that and save some money, as THEY said we had too many teachers. I refused and stood my ground - for the rest of the year. Of course, I jumped at the end of the year, before I was pushed, but it wasn't just due to that incident.

In the fact, the whole year had been marked by constant bickering and power struggles between so-called academics who were pretending to be managers. Never have I seen such an ugly display of the meanest side of humanity. Meetings turned into shouting matches, accusations of all manner of unprofessionalism and illegal and immoral behaviors were thrown about, and threats of immediate termination of employment were issued - and given. It was common to conspire against colleagues who were seen as a threat (i.e. better), and decisions were taken by the Director against the wishes of everybody, except his toe-rag scullions of course.

I guess you would have been very happy there, WttW!

Last edited by secretsquirrel on Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
jdl

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

secretsquirrel,

Your experience with bullying was very traumatic for you. It will take time for you to work through the anger and your feelings of failure and inadequacy as you review how you may have better handled the situation. Don't despair, many have shared your experience. Look at it as just another growth experience and remain as positive as possible as you struggle with your feelings. It does get better so, 'hang in there' as they say.

The website you list on your profile is one which may help you in your healing process as it does allow people to vent very openly; but at some time a more positive forward looking response will be required as a natural step in 'moving on'.

Good luck with your journey. Hopefully your process will prepare you for similar situations in the future for as abhorrent as bullying is in the workplace, it is an all too often common practice and really will not change for the better without a reasoned response from those who have first hand experience with it. Victims are the greatest agents of change once the emotion of victimization gives way to reason and thoughtful response.
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting thread.
First off, I'm not in Qatar; however, I don't feel this issue is limited to that country (of course).
As a fledgling manager (less than a year), I can now plainly see why some in charge resort to "bullying" to get their message across. At the moment, I have a staff of only 13 teachers, and some of them definitely do things (e.g. come late to class, bring their phones to class) that are against the rules.
However, I think there are more effective ways of getting one's point across than bullying. Such "far-out" management techniques as talking to the "offender" in a professional, private and polite manager; respecting teachers (as I liked to be respected when I was one such); and listening to teachers' suggestions (after all, they are very smart people with great ideas). Being honest with those around me seems to be a good policy, as well. Respect, listen, honesty and communication: These seem to be more fruitful options than intimidation.
All-in-all, our school, while rather small, has a pleasant atmosphere with relatively happy teachers, generally pleased students, and one satisfied manager.
jdl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Horace Greeley said, "Common sense is very uncommon". Thank you jpvanderwerf2001 for bringing us back to the common sense virtues of honesty, respect and listening(communicating). Good sound advice for all in all activities. I guess the difficult part comes when faced with less than respectful behaviour we do not know how to respond in an honest, respecftful yet meaningful manner. Although in our hearts and minds these virtues have importance our behaviours are often contradictory testimonial. So this is a long winded way of asking........any suggestions on how a teacher who is feeling bullied could act in a manner consistent with the virtues identified?

I find many comments in these forums regarding bullying or other injustices are a frustrated call for help; that is, how can I act to correct this situation in a principled manner. How do I act morally and ethically in an immoral situation?

And the secret of life is?????????
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear jdl,

"And the secret of life is?????????"

Avoid dying.

Regards,
John
jdl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love the virtue of pragmatism.

When all philosophy fails us, there remains the crucible question, "And how is that working for you" - Dr. Phil
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear jdl,

So far, so good - I'm just about 67 years old and still avoiding it. However, to quote Andrew Marvell:

"But at my back I always hear / Time's winged chariot hurrying near."

Regards,
John
jdl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, time and our experience of it.......the basis of all philosophy.

"Thus, though we cannot make our sun
Stand still, yet we will make him run."
lollaerd

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpvanderwerf2001 wrote:
Very interesting thread.

However, I think there are more effective ways of getting one's point across than bullying. Such "far-out" management techniques as talking to the "offender" in a professional, private and polite manager; respecting teachers (as I liked to be respected when I was one such); and listening to teachers' suggestions (after all, they are very smart people with great ideas). Being honest with those around me seems to be a good policy, as well. Respect, listen, honesty and communication: These seem to be more fruitful options than intimidation.
All-in-all, our school, while rather small, has a pleasant atmosphere with relatively happy teachers, generally pleased students, and one satisfied manager.

Absolutely. Talking to, listening to, sharing and supporting your staff in an honest way is definitely more fruitful. The more supportive a manager is, the more supportive and reliable the staff are. Treat your staff badly and they live in fear. This affects morale and productivity. No substitution for a caring manager.
jdl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No manager is better than a bad manager? or perhaps even a good one?......a staff unfettered by petty requests and restrictions to pursue excellence as an individual vision rather than a lock step fulfillment of some manager's scheme?
Are managers really required? Would the money not be better spent hiring 2 more instructors? We are all professional. We can manage ourselves. Really what useful function does a manager fulfill? REALLY?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdl wrote:
We are all professional.

Though your question is one that I have pondered through the years. I think the quote above may be the weak link in your theory.

Have you read this board? Laughing

VS
jdl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A sense of humour must prevail.
Besides is anarchy not the natural state of things? Confused
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdl wrote:

Yes... with or without managers... Wink

VS
wilberforce

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new assistant at the cop shop seems to be into bullying and bossing people around. My good Gulag buddy used to work with this know-it-all and said the person was dire. Someone who sucks up to the boss and wants to be in control. The person loves to poke around and take control -the type who just don't know nothing but think they do and act superior, if you get my drift. We all know the type. The usual insecure control- freak personality. How is it they always end up in positions of authority? Push and shove is the way it works I guess.
Warning Bells

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This started out as a good thread until this:
jdl wrote:
A sense of humour must prevail.

Wow, someone needs to take a course on political science. Let me help you:

Quote:
The word "anarchy" is often used by non-anarchists as a pejorative term, intended to connote a lack of control and a negatively chaotic environment. However, anarchists still argue that anarchy does not imply nihilism, anomie, or the total absence of rules, but rather an anti-statist society that is based on the spontaneous order of free individuals in autonomous communities.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchy

And a sense of humour can hardly prevail when a person is being bullied to the point of being physically assaulted, their lives being threatened by terrorist sympathizers and constantly being berated, called insulting names and sweared at by colleagues and/or management. I've either seen all of this happen to others or been on the receiving end of it and I don't think its a laughing matter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: