Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting a CRC Notarized in Georgia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alb924

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Getting a CRC Notarized in Georgia Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm having problems getting my CRC notarized. I was issued a state wide check from the local Sheriff's office, but the document they provided me with is a print-out of the information in the computer. There is no signature spot. They stamped it with a GCIC stamp, but other than that there's nowhere for anyone to sign. I've taken the document to several notaries who refused to notarize it. I also asked the sheriff's office, the local police station, and the courthouse if they could notarize it and they all said no. The process is taking longer than it should. I'm wondering if I should submit fingerprints to the FBI and have them do my check? Will they automatically notarize the document?

Also, no one I have talked to in my town even knows what an apostille is, which also doesn't help matters. I know what I need to do to get the apostille, but I need a notarized CRC first if I'm correct.

I'm not very familiar with the whole process, so any information or suggestions about what I could do would be very helpful.

Thanks.
gaffe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In North Carolina, I was finger printed for a state check, then the prints sent to the SBI and they notarized the CBR before sending it back to me. Then I sent that to the Sec. of State for the apostille. I've had documents notarized by the county registrar of deeds before. UPS store?
kikatwist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from Georgia and I had the same problem as well. I would go to your local bank. it's tricky b/c my notary told me notaries are really only to confirm signatures that were done in front of the notary. when you get your CBC, there's no notary there! What my guy did was just notarized under my signature on my background check and wrote that he was notarizing my signature. He only agreed to do this after he saw a sample of my signature and made sure it matched. But that's also a good part of going to your bank, they should have an example of your signature on file, so you could ask them to pull that up. Hope that helps!
All my documents worked out fine-I've got my visa number and my consulate appt. tomorrow
iggyb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Georgia, and I didn't have any problems either time I got the CBC within the past month.

Both times, they notarized the form they had for ordering the CBC, and when I came to pick it up the next day, the form was stapled with the printout of the check.

The first time, they used a print stamp for the notary and I had to take it to the small city hall in the small town I live in to get her to notarize it again using the press-stamp that leaves the indentations. -- That is what the Georgia government office that handles apostille said was needed on their website. Google for the site to see what is needed.

Maybe go back to get another CBC and tell them to notarize the application form like they did for me...

I'm going to drive to Atlanta to get the apostille in person this time because I"m due to leave in two weeks and I don't want to hit a snag with delayed mail, but last time they processed the apostille fast enough.

I'm also driving down in person because I'm going to get several copies apostilled so I can have backups while I'm in Korea doing the job search.
kikatwist

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may take you over a week to get your visa number after your documents get over to korea! also, once you do get your visa number. you have to have your interview at the k. consulate in ATL----- you have to make an appointment, which you can't make until you have a visa #, and when I checked, all appointments were full for the next 2 weeks. I would say 2 weeks is really pushing it.
alb924

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I've checked a few more notaries and since none will do it, I think I'm going to apply directly to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. This is going to take longer than I'd like, but right now I just want to get it done! I'm hoping they won't be too slow in getting the check back to me, especially if it takes so long after having the documents to set up an appointment with the consulate. Does anyone know if they require you go in person? I'm about 4 hours away from Atlanta, and of course will do the drive if I have to, but didn't know if there was an alternative.
iggyb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you try what I suggested?

How long did it take you to get the CBC last time?

Both times for me it was ready the next afternoon. The people at the police department you go to will have notary powers. Just get them to stamp the application form with their and your signature on it and have them staple it to the CBC when it arrives?

That was the routine both times I applied for it, and when I mailed the first one to get the apostille, it came back fine.

I think you should try this instead of waiting for an GBI check to come through. Maybe go ahead and apply for that, but apply for another CBC too.

Heck, where do you live? If time is pressing, drive to Rome in Floyd County and apply at the same place I did... You'll be able to pick up a notarized CBC the next afternoon...
alb924

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They did the CBC for me right on the spot when I got applied for it. I called back to see if I could bring it back to get it notarized and they told me they will not notarize CBC's. That was at the Sheriff's office so I tried calling the local police station to see if I could get a background check there and they told me to go to the Sheriff's office because it's faster and they would also not be able to notarize a CBC. They did stamp the document, but there's not a spot for a signature unless I randomly sign in the white space at the bottom, and no notaries will accept that. I'm in Valdosta, so I'll have to see how far Rome is from here, but I guess I could call other places if that's not close and see how they do it. I just figured going through the GBI would be my best bet of being sure it was notarized.
iggyb

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rome will likely be too far unless you are desperate.

http://www.esolers.org/ICONS/example.jpg

I scanned the application form I used at the police department I used so you can see what I'm talking about. (It is hard to see, but the notary impression is over the "Notarized this day..." line.

I am assuming you had to fill out a form and sign it when you ordered the CBC. Ask the sheriff's office to notarize that. Then staple it to the CBC. Then you can send it to get the apostille or drive to Atlanta to get it in person.

At the place I used, when I picked up the form, they had stapled it together for me. And it worked to get the apostille and it was accepted by SMOE (before they kneed me in the groin...but that's another story...)
alb924

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I realized Rome is too far. I'm going to try and get a copy of the original form I filled out to get the record check, otherwise I think I'm going to go ahead and give up and just get finger prints done to send off. I feel like this document should have been one of the easiest, especially since I don't have a record. Luckily, I have everything else in hand, so once I can get this taken care of, I should be good to move along in the process. I apprecate all your help though! I'm keeping my fingers crossed I can get the original form to get that notarized.
iggyb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I don't get it...

Since you said the last time they gave you the criminal background check on the same day as you applied, why not just fill out another application, have them run the check again, and have them sign and notarize the application form?

Why try to get them to dig up the other form if you can do it all over again in one day?

I had to wait a day each time I applied. It only cost me 5 dollars a pop.

The 2nd time I went, I filled out two forms to get two copies - each form being notarized - to keep as backups in case something like SMOE dropping the contract occurred -- which it did...

I think you should be able to take care of this in a day just by going back to the Sheriff's office and getting a new copy of the CBC....
alb924

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you're right. I thought about it after my last post. They won't notarize the form at the station, but as long as I get a copy of the form I fill out, I should be good to go.
iggyb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would annoy me a little that they won't notarize a form at the office. I would bet money there is someone at the station who is a notary given all the official documents that go through it.

If they won't, maybe get the form, take it to city hall or some other place that does have a notary with the raised stamp impression thingy - city hall would be best ---- and fill the form out in front of them and have them notarize it - then go get the CBC and make sure they give you the application form back - and staple it together with the printout...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: