Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Philippines late July - early August

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Philippines late July - early August Reply with quote

I'm looking to get myself back to a country with some scenery. I found a Sunday-Sunday last week of July - first week of August RT ticket for 250k the other day via AirAsia and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna grab it. Just want to double check here, though. That's a pretty good deal this late in the process, right? It's into Manila, but I've done that before, maneuvered down to Mindoro with relative ease, and enjoyed the experience. Everything into Cebu, from what I've seen, seems considerably pricier or sold out; and I just want to relax on a beautiful beach with some decent grub and San Migs for a week, so it looks like a decent deal.

Any input? Tom? 250k isn't much out of the bank for me, think I should go ahead and book it or does anyone else have some info that might be useful? Checked Cebu Pacific, Eastarjet, Jeju Air, Skyscanner, and JinAir... any others I should take a look at before booking? I went to Puerto Galera last year, any other recommendations around Mindoro or places in the general area? Thanks for any responses.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decent price into MNL. Getting out of Manila for your time won't be hard at that time of year (lots of cheap domestic flights) or catch a bus headed south or a boat to the next island.

wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never fly air asia. i'm serious. i just made the mistake of flying them again last week even though i told myself i wouldn't due to previously flying them and realizing they were a joke of an airline.

well this time, they changed my flight without telling me so i got to the airport and found out that it had left hours before. i had to get the next flight which was the following day which made me have to get a hotel for that nite, pay for the one i already had but was too late to cancel, cut my vacation a day shorter, pay for multiple extra flights to make up for the late day, AND they'd only give me 200usd for all this hassle because i had bought their awful insurance.

the day of my flight i almost missed it again because they had no idea you could get a visa on arrival for my destination country AND they tried to put me on standby for the flight telling me i had to wait to check in 20 minutes before the flight TOOK OFF. i raised hell and finally got on the airplane to find that there were a ton of seats remaining and that they obviously had no idea what was going on.

the final strike is the LCC airport. it should be called a warehouse of misery because it sure as hell is not a legit airport.

i will never ever ever fly that awful excuse of an airline again and i strongly advise anyone else to take a real airline.
John Stamos jr.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, that sounds pretty shitty. I've never flown Air Asia before but I don't know if your experience is enough to make me fork out an extra $100 to fly with a different carrier. I usually don't sweat small air trips but even with Cebu Pacific I had a bad experience with the leg room, which there was none of.

Ehhhh, I don't know, it's hard to change your plans because you're EXPECTING someone to screw you over and fail at their job. I don't know if I can do that or if it's worth the extra money. I gotta say no at this point, but I'm curious if others hate Air Asia as much as you do... Question
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AriAsia, Cebu Pacific, et al = bus with wings. Good for short hops (3-5 hours) but hey... seat space costs money so legroom is not an option.

They are not now, have never been and they do not pretend to be full service airlines.

If you want meals, service, and legroom then go with a full service airline.

wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah it was truly awful. i don't expect them to have the amenities of a full service airline, but i also don't expect them to have a bunch of angry ignorant monkeys working their counters. plus these low cost airlines have NO problem switching flight times at the last minute if a flight if not full enough, baggage loader tom wanted a few extra minutes watching dancing with the stars, etc. the last time i flew cebu pacific i was delayed 6 hours because they wanted to merge two low-passenger flights. unfortunately it was the only way to get to my destination in the philippines so i had to sit and wait while they tried to give me a awful cheap chicken and rice combo from mc donalds as some kind of peace offering.

plus you also get screwed because travel insurance does not cover any costs you may incur in situations like mine. so due to all of air asia's buffoonery, i'm out around 850k out of pocket which would have been a lot less had i just taken a real airline. let live, let learn i suppose.

again, avoid air asia like the plague because it's even worse than that.
cfile2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second wishfulthinking. Never again. Ever. It is well worth it to pay the extra 100$ for a proper flight. Then you can check your baggage without fees, get moved to a decent isle or exit seat without worrying about Air Asia's bullshit "hot seats" that cost an extra 30$, get a free meal, and if anything goes wrong you can have actual customer service, as opposed to the rough prostate examination that is Air Asia's customer service experience.

Hell no to ever flying through the LCC too. It's the 8th circle of hell I tell you. Forcing you to connect through KL, which many flights do through Air Asia, is just their way of sticking another finger in your eye. Save up for one month more if you need to, and take a direct flight on a proper airline. Get yourself an airmiles card and collect the mileage on it and it will be much more worth it in the long run.

Air asia... never again.
Yaya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cfile2 wrote:
I second wishfulthinking. Never again. Ever. It is well worth it to pay the extra 100$ for a proper flight. Then you can check your baggage without fees, get moved to a decent isle or exit seat without worrying about Air Asia's bullshit "hot seats" that cost an extra 30$, get a free meal, and if anything goes wrong you can have actual customer service, as opposed to the rough prostate examination that is Air Asia's customer service experience.

Hell no to ever flying through the LCC too. It's the 8th circle of hell I tell you. Forcing you to connect through KL, which many flights do through Air Asia, is just their way of sticking another finger in your eye. Save up for one month more if you need to, and take a direct flight on a proper airline. Get yourself an airmiles card and collect the mileage on it and it will be much more worth it in the long run.

Air asia... never again.

I have had no problem with AirAsia. Sorry that you did but I fly that carrier all the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: