Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting a K GF
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greyhound

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh by the way, some South African teacher told me on waygook that he got a visa with some qualification he had HCE or something like that and worked in Korea for about 6 years.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyhound wrote:
You can't hold a doctorate without having a bachelor's. How does that make sense? You have to have a bachelor's first.

Actually, you can. There are a number of schools which have admitted people to graduate studies based on life or work experience without granting them a baccalaureate; and I'm talking about legitimate schools, not "diploma mills", and about actual degrees, not honorary degrees.

Quote:
And if you read my post, I have a bachelor's degree equivalent. Immigration told me they will have to look at it first before deciding.

I obviously read your post; you can clearly see that where I mentioned "don't do equivalent", meaning that Korea's government doesn't consider anything other than a baccalaureate to be a baccalaureate, regardless of the actual accreditation or even prestige of the proffered equivalent. Yes, it's stupid. If you make it to Korea, that will not be the only thing that will be making you shake your head in wonder.

Quote:
just buy one online for £200 with a UK uni and get a notary public who doesn't check properly to sign it.

Do that, come to Korea, get caught--which you will--and then you will be a guest of Ms Park's administration while they sort out your fine, length of sentence, and deportation date. Do a quick search either of this site or just online in general for: Korea degree verification.

Quote:
But in all honesty, I can't see why they wouldn't accept it now as they've got bachelor's degree staring them in the face.

No, they have a document from your university saying "equivalent". That doesn't mean that Korea's going to honor it as such.

Quote:
I'll know next week anyway if they accept it or not. They definitely accept it in Japan. Plus Japan immigration will have a record of my two visas I've had in the past, so if I can't get into Korea, I might go to Japan.

I already said I hope it's changed for the better and that Korea does pull its collective administrative head out of its byzantine tush and recognizes your credentials as they should be. But Korea is not Japan. They kind of like to go overboard from time to time in ensuring foreigners know that. Telling a Korean government worker "But this is good for Japan" will likely get you the response of "Then go to Japan. Enjoy your stay there. Good bye."
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyhound wrote:
Sorry what's ASFAIK? I don't know what you mean.

Ah, I misspelled it. It was supposed to be AFAIK (As Far As I Know).

Quote:
Renting an apartment isn't a problem for me at the moment as it's free accommodation. But those prices are quite a bit.

You ain't kidding! Want to know what else is far too pricey in South Korea? Getting married. Technically, all you have to do is pay the paltry fees for the translation services, notary services at the embassy, and the district or ward office for registering the marriage. In reality, though, you'll be footing all kinds of cash for wedding hall, family friendship gifts, and other (non-)essentials. Oh, yeah; and don't forget about having a home for the lass to move into; a home you actually own. That's the current so-called tradition. I guess since it's been going on for about 25 years or so, it can be called traditional.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You ain't kidding! Want to know what else is far too pricey in South Korea? Getting married. Technically, all you have to do is pay the paltry fees for the translation services, notary services at the embassy, and the district or ward office for registering the marriage. In reality, though, you'll be footing all kinds of cash for wedding hall, family friendship gifts, and other (non-)essentials. Oh, yeah; and don't forget about having a home for the lass to move into; a home you actually own. That's the current so-called tradition. I guess since it's been going on for about 25 years or so, it can be called traditional.

Not necessarily, it depends on a lot of different factors. I know a lot of people who got married to Koreans, myself included, and all the financial circumstances were different. One couple just decided to have their wedding abroad and combine it with the honeymoon - the Korean family got the hump and refused to go - but they're still together. Another did it all in Korea on the cheap without a wedding hall or church.

I agreed to let her family do what they wanted as long as they paid for it all. They invited 600 people but got more than the cost back from the presents, 20 mil of which they gave to us to buy furniture. The only expense I had was my choice to have a party for friends and family in a restaurant in the evening.

At the end of the day you're under no obligation to spunk loads of money on it, like you kind of are in the UK. As long as the parents aren't calling the shots that is. If she's in the position where she does whatever the family says, and they're a grasping lot, you might be in trouble. In your case maybe another reason to go for the slightly older woman to avoid all that hassle.
greyhound

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's kinda expensive getting married as well then. Gees. Everything's expensive nowadays yet wages don't rise. Why don't you try and sell and make a profit selling your house and then buy another cheaper one and sell that. Try and make 20k GBP profit each time or something. That's what I'd do if I got an apartment in Korea.

Well, I don't know how you know so much about what immigration accepts or doesn't accept but the documents are on their way. If I can't get a visa, I've got a job offer for more money in the UAE anyway but like I said, I[d rather go to Korea than back to the sand pit.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

So it's kinda expensive getting married as well then. Gees

No it isn't, read my post
greyhound

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the korea degree verification. I thought you just get your degree notarised and apostilled and that's it. Do they do any further checks then? if so, then I hope they call my uni cos they can tell them then I have thr equivalent of a bachelor's degree. I think I mentioned someone from South Africa got a visa for 6 years on a HCEsomething or other diploma. That's someone on Waygook. He PMed me though so it's not on a thread. He said they don't keep checking your degree every year, you just have it verified by immigration once. So I guess it's just the criminal check that's needed yearly once you've done everything the first time.
greyhound

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry I didn't read it properly. So it can be cheap then depending where the venue is and how much you want to spend.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyhound wrote:
sorry I didn't read it properly. So it can be cheap then depending where the venue is and how much you want to spend.

There are certain traditions that exist as Centricali says but there's no law that says you have to abide by them. It's up to you, your prospective wife and her family to decide what'll happen. If the balance seems to be out of kilter it could be a poor family trying to take advantage of the foreigner, like they do in Thailand. It's less common here but it still happens
greyhound

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd want to find a woman who is educated really so that she can work in a good company. There were music students in Hungary from Korea 20 years ago I remember so a musician would be nice to meet. there's loads of musicians in Asia I think. Mind you, not all music careers or jobs pay t hat well. Only SImon Cowell's got millions out of music LOL Laughing

hey what about the K pop band girls? Now they'd have some money in the bank Very Happy
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edwardcatflap wrote:
greyhound wrote:

There are certain traditions that exist as Centricali says but there's no law that says you have to abide by them. It's up to you, your prospective wife and her family to decide what'll happen. If the balance seems to be out of kilter it could be a poor family trying to take advantage of the foreigner, like they do in Thailand. It's less common here but it still happens

One of my best friends, Korean dude still living in Korea, and his wife spent the equivalent of about $20 years ago for their wedding. Got married at the district office (which is was the only fee), went to our church's temple in Seoul for the ceremony (free), and had a small reception in the church back in Busan (also free). Yeah, it's not required; however, as you say, there can still be pressure for the "traditional stuff".

greyhound wrote:
hey what about the K pop band girls? Now they'd have some money in the bank Very Happy

They do, but they're contractually prohibited from dating, apparently. At least that's the way it looks on the rare occasions when they get caught with someone of the opposite gender and their owners..er...employers find out. The local papers live to out them and cover it as a scandal.
greyhound

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in Hong Kong I went to the hotel adjoining the airport and they used to get loads of air stewardesses from Asian airline companies staying at the hotel. I watched them booking in and then they all came and sat down on the sofas with their luggage. It was very interesting Very Happy
Lazio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coltronator wrote:
Normal rent is about 800k won per month with a 25 mil deposit for a 35 py. apartment.

No it's not. Not anywhere near subway. Not even outside of Seoul in a smaller city in Gyeongi-do.

Tell me where can you find a decent house by western standards, that size for 200 million won that is not out in the sticks. Give me a city and dong where I can find them. Or rental is fine too.

The monthly rent you wrote would suggest such market value on that apartment. That is about 90 square meters - real size. 3 bedrooms, 2 baths and a spacious living room/kitchen. Bigger than what most families live in actually.

And why are you using pyeong when you are both foreigners and he is a newbie who has no idea what that is? The pyeong size also doesn't tell anything about the real size of the place. Use square meter that doesn't include a bunch of nonsense like stairway and parking lot. The pyeong thing is an old fashioned way and actually realtors should use square meter for several years now. It's the law. And villa pyeong is different from apartment pyeong which makes it even more confusing and useless.

Quote:
Each 10 million won more deposit will drop rent by about 100k per month

Again, it's not. it used to be like that up until 5 or so years ago but ever since the ratio is going down. It is more like 10million deposit will knock of 50k won from the monthly rent these days.
Coltronator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct about subway line. However we were talking about non-prime location. In which case what I said stands.
Lazio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coltronator wrote:
You are correct about subway line. However we were talking about non-prime location. In which case what I said stands.

No, you wrote "normal" rent which suggests average. And you say non-prime location which you even specified as Gangnam of Seoul and Centum of Busan excluded. This suggests that other areas of Seoul are available in that price range. Now you go with off the subway line and out in the sticks in the middle of rice paddies. So which one is it than?

That price you mentioned stands only in the countryside. And by that I mean a city of under 100k with the closest bigger city of at least 500k more than an hour drive away. So you shouldn't call that "normal" because it is misleading.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: