Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garry Marshall is dead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
On the other hand

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Garry Marshall is dead Reply with quote

Quote:
Hollywood director Garry Marshall, whose hit films included Pretty Woman, Runaway Bride and Beaches, died Tuesday at age 81.

Publicist Michelle Bega said Marshall died Tuesday at a hospital in Burbank, Calif., of complications from pneumonia after having a stroke.

Marshall's talents as a writer-producer made him a powerhouse for an entire era of sitcoms in the 1970s and 80s, including Happy Days, Mork & Mindy, The Odd Couple and Laverne & Shirley, which starred his sister Penny.

Once estimating he'd churned out 1,000 sitcom episodes, Marshall wasn't just responsible for creating hit shows, but launching actors' careers as well.

Happy Days was definitely part of my childhood cultural milieu; along with that of most kids my age. Mork and Mindy as well, possibly moreso.

Not a huge follower of his cinematic output: never watched Pretty Woman until long after it had been the current thing, though I think I saw three or four of his other films. He did seem to stay relevant to audience taste, as the years went on.

But I'd have to say that this acting stint is my personal favorite among his efforts...

"...schmucks see Wayne Newton..."

link
TorontoToronto

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall I was in grade 3 or 4 when Happy Days hit the dial (we really had TVs with dials) and it was a huge sensation. I seem to recall the first season was shot on film and the Fonz was never allowed to wear a leather jacket unless he was on or near a motorcycle. The censors feared he would engender delinquency if wearing leather as a fashion statement was on weekly national TV show. Richie's older brother (Chip or something) was an occasional character. He was written out of the series in subsequent seasons. I think he joined the army in the TV series. The popular explanation was he died in Vietnam. But that was just an urban legend.

Love watching Lenny these days in Better Call Saul.
On the other hand

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TorontoToronto wrote:
The popular explanation was he died in Vietnam. But that was just an urban legend.

I believe it was stated that he got stationed in Greenland or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: