What do we call them linguistically?

<b>Forum for the discussion of Applied Linguistics </b>

Moderators: Dimitris, maneki neko2, Lorikeet, Enrico Palazzo, superpeach, cecil2, Mr. Kalgukshi2

kapvijay

What do we call them linguistically?

Post by kapvijay » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:56 pm

Hello, I'm analyzing the nursing reports to find out the language structure used by the nursing students. In the reports, I've come across the following two sets of sentences.

Group A: (This type of sentences does not have a verb phrase at all (e.g. is/was, are/were))
a). Patient conscious and oriented.
b). Pulse volume tension fair.
c). IV fluids on flow.
d). Patient general condition weak.

Group B : (this type of passive sentences does not have only auxiliary verb in the verb phrase.)
a). Health education given.
b). TPR checked and recorded.
c). Oral fluids not given.
d). CBD kept in position.
e). Urine drained well.

I understand, the sentences without a verb phrase is considered ungrammatical, but in medicine, grammar is not given much important. This type of writing is called Medical English. I don't know how to categorize these types of sentences. Could you help me, please? Thanking you in advance.

Lorikeet

Post by Lorikeet » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:32 am

Both of them seem to have be verbs omitted. I don't know a special name for it though. A reduction of some sort perhaps?

fluffyhamster

Post by fluffyhamster » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:21 am

Try researching terms such as the following: abbreviated language, block language, ellipsis, headlinese/newspaper language, minor sentence, non-sentence. Then take your pick lol.

Note that the term 'reduced' is usually reserved for reduced/participial relative clauses.
Last edited by fluffyhamster on Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

kapvijay

Post by kapvijay » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:11 pm

Thanks Lorikeet for having given a small spark on the topic.

kapvijay

Post by kapvijay » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:30 pm

Hello fluffyhamster, I'll study the terms and come for a discussion. thanking you........